American MilSim
The Rick

Broken Home III Official AAR

Thank you guys for all the feedback.

I will be constructing a fairly in depth review of the event from my eyes. (Admin)

There is a fair amount of topics I want to cover and some things that need to be said.

I am so glad to hear that the majority of the feedback has been good and I am so glad to hear that people understand when things go wrong from time to time. Most importantly I can assure you all of this.... we will be having a SERIOUS AAR amongst the team and staff to make sure some of the things we implemented are either enforced more or tweaked a bit.

I CANNOT begin to thank all of you for supporting AMS and keeping this train rolling. Whether or not some of you believe it or not we REALLY care about each and every player and it is a constant struggle to make sure that we are doing what we can to at least TRY and keep everyone happy.

Sorry you had to listen to me all weekend...not only in the safety briefing but on stage.. lololol

Silva OUT

I second this. Which I'll admit is a weird feeling to sit there and admit "Damn... this is too much free swag..." haha. Maybe there just needs to be some new methods to better condense it all. I know AMS will surely continue to gain sponsors.

The solution is fairly easy.

1) Don't take time out of the raffle to throw out waters.  Seriously?  Bring water to the raffle or have water stations around the edges of the crowd if you want.  Hell, SELL waters at the raffle I bet you would make money. It was just wasted time to take time away from the endgame stuff to do this.

2) Don't throw out the freebies.  How about put them in our swag bags instead?  Don't have 700 freebies? Give the good stuff to the people who preregged first!  I.e. first 100 customers get a free blablabla lanyard from some dude!  First 50 preregged customers get moar stickerz!!! ayrrrrrg!GG!G!G!!!  Or even just randomly distribute freebie swag into swag bags - Hell I can tell you personally, anything is better than trying to catch a hat only to get tackled by 8 chubby dudes.  A lot of people walk away with NOTHING because they are not willing to be a part of a mosh pit.  (myself included)

3) Giving each side leadership time to talk is a great thing but should not go on more than a few minutes.

4) Please give us at least some recap of the weekend even if it is very broad and end on that note instead of everybody leaving wondering who won or what happened.  Just touch on the big events and objectives that were noteworthy!  You don't have to give out a trophy but give us SOMETHING. 

This was the first time the Chicago Airsoft Association's travel team mobilized and came out to an AMS event, which is sad, because you would think we would have in the last 14 years... but hey, better late then never.

Thank you for hosting, it was fun for all of our guys and a welcome change from some of the other events that we usually frequent, we look forward to seeing more of the people we met down the road from teams, associations, and single players.

That being said, I have played a lot of airsoft in the last 10 years or so and I have never really observed the types of massive fallout that has been occurring surrounding this game, much of it, inside and internal to UFS and COST and team v team.   Platoons taking credit for other platoons work, and all types of silliness.

It really takes the fun out of it when you travel for 12 hours, play a game, have a great time, drive 12 hours home, and then read nothing but shit all over facebook for the next three days.

The AMS Staff seemed to work pretty hard, and from being an event organizer myself, I know how money breaks down, they arent getting rich.  

The Command Staff on both sides herded exhausted players all weekend long and did an outstanding job, and the players, from what I saw, were still fist bumping and laughing up until the last minute.   

Thanks for having us, and hope to see you all down the road.

Bryan
UFS Alpha Company - 1st Platoon Leader
Chicago Airsoft Association - TF Spearhead

I appreciate the responses!

I tried to register for the idam but unfortunately it was already closed by the time I registered. I'll make sure to snag it next year.  I suppose the only thing that doesn't work with player controlled event is there isn't ever going to be those objectives where a leader hands you a prop and says something along the lines of "This is a bomb, take it to point delphi and detonate it". I think it would be okay now and then for an admin to step up to a team leader and say "hey, here's this thing, make it happen." Then that team leader has to assess what areas he holds with his troops and plan out a mission to get this small objective to happen. 

Territory grabbing and holding is fun but unless there's something to shake it up every once in awhile it'll get repetitive especially after three days and two nights.

I was, however, a squad leader for my squad and the time we spent doing stuff in between the holding of areas was some of the more fun we had. I know we're not all SF cool guys but at some point everyone that goes to an event likes to feel like that at some point. At one point we made our way around behind enemy lines (only to find out we went too far and were out of bounds - oops) and got in some fun fire fights while dodging an entire platoon of tan making their way to some objective which was AWESOME! And on that note, it was then that our CO, while we were on our way to flank some tan, told us he needed people to hold an area. I told him we'd rather go shoot baddies to which he didn't argue and said have fun. If only we had just stayed and guarded because we shortly lost the Airfield after that!  So sorry about that to Anderson. Lol

It was my first OP and all in all I had a fun time, definitely coming back next year.  Already looking into my funds to see if Faded Giant is a possibility lol.  

We ambushed a couple squads in the woods and I gotta say it was really nice when the UFS guys we just lit up walked up and shook my hand thanking us for a good and fair fire fight, I really liked that kind of sportsmanship.  Thought the command did a really good job a moving us around we got to fight everywhere which made it fun and interesting, the first day wasn't 100% sure about it until my squad leader explained it to me about if they say just stay here and hold this line there's a reason their not just doing to put you here and shut you up lol.  Not what I actually thought was going on but didn't understand why we didn't push up harder but it all played out.  First time with player vehicles and a helicopter in game that was a really cool factor too.  The mobile mash units where a nice addition too, I mainly liked that for a lazy reason though. :) 

As for the semi-auto rule I've never played an AMS event in full-auto since this was my first one but I'm guessing it wouldn't be any different from any other game with people just pinned down from endless bb's, so for that reason I like it not really "love it" or "hate it" but I like it.  Made you have to work like a team especially since we didn't have a SAW gunner cause his gun went down in the first game Saturday lol.

I can't really think of anything I really didn't like.  Few people that I thought weren't calling hits but that'll happen anywhere I'll just call mine and be back soon to get even closer and shoot you again.  Plus when you're amped up from a really good attack or defend against a good one, you're not gonna feel a bb bounce of your thick plate carrier so it's all good.

Did learn what i was prepared and under-prepared on for so I'll know next time.  lathered on sunblock the whole weekend and the last day being an idiot forgot too and during the raffle I had to crouch down in Dave's shadow cause of the sunburn on my arms.  (my ignorance though). 

I have been to quite a few games for AMS.

Raffle = Out of hand. MoshPit mentality just kinda ruined it for me, Went to the car with AC and good tunes. Agree with Jazzman if your willing to fling your fat nasty body over three people to get that sticker , you deserve to be in that trash, I am too old for that type of shit.

I know lets have the raffle in the hottest part of the day and have every sponsor say a few words and every 5 minutes toss swag to feed the heathens...

(Guys the raffle lasted 2.5 hours.)

I saw more SUNBURNS there than any part of the game...

Also for the record I have never won a raffle at any of the OP's non AMS either, Not jealous, I go to the raffle to hear my command speak and the other command, that way I can judge who really won if points don't get tallied till weeks later. We play cause we love airsoft but SOMEONE has to lose and WIN. The world should have winners and losers not participation trophies for everyone just for showing up, that's called getting a SWAG BAG. Just Saying ... Most of it was tossing swag and stickers...to a feeding frenzy. ) I ended up giving my raffle ticket away because I still have a 6 hour drive ahead of me. Maybe a shaded area would be a better spot to raffle . I know at RY we always find some shady tank or better area to do it in... Probably why every prize required 3-4 draws cause most people left by then. Several people around me got their chairs broken by leaping swag lizards... I wish some of these folks had that energy on the field I'd put stickers all over the SQD Leads and told em to run into enemy lines and sure enough the swag lizards would follow...

Speakers = UFS command got up to speak which I wanted to hear but busted my ass all weekend and wanted to relax, could not hear due to the White Deuce that drove around gathering trash then parked , so couldn't hear anything but that .

On missions, OP RY - we always have cool missions props and roleplaying. I think with BH series there's just too much going on to inc smaller missions, not to mention the cost for props. I think if AMS Created a storyline mission concept and gave it to the commands , with a bit of initiative, the Squads doing those missions could help out on building props etc... Just a thought.

Here's a thought, any of the sponsors that do the "lets just toss our crap at everyone," why not get that stuff into the registration packets? Get it shipped to AMS staff that's putting the packets together before a certain date they have set up so they have everything to go in there.
BAM. Just the big stuff for the raffle, no wilting, sweating, burning for 2.5 hrs. :)

CoST was to have had flags on all POVs. However, almost no one picked them up. I can't tell you how much time (and to a lesser extent, money) was wasted because people didn't do as they were asked. Not all of the check in process went to plan, but the flags would have helped matters greatly.

your command must then force them to pick it up..  

IMO

Sorry, this is going to be a bit long...

BH3 AAR

UFS Marine Charlie Company

Team 2 (Reapers) Actual Reporting

After another long hurry up and wait period (don’t all actions start with this?), the Marines of Charlie Company were loaded up on a bus and transported from our TOC to Pegasus Bridge (PB).  Our mission was to recon up the main road north towards Colevile.  That fell through at the start of hostilities as Charlie and PB came under attack right from the start.  We were ordered to cross the bridge to the east and follow Charlie 1 (C1) on a back trail towards Colevile.  Things went bad for me personally at this point as I took a VERY hard fall right before the end of the bridge as I slipped and went down hard.  I knocked the wind out of me, and had a bad headache for most of the day.  The major damage was done to my back, however, as I have had back problems most of my adult life.  As the day went on, I would have major back spasms and would lead to my leaving the field early (about an hour).  I got back into the fight and we chased down C1, only to have them come back from the trail they were assigned to.  We pressed on into the woods north east of PB and made it to the ravine.  I made the command choice to come back to the west and skirt the ravine as we were hearing a big firefight to the west.  At this time, the rest of the UFS forces seemed to all be in our area.  We halted our advance and let them go down into the valley.  Once they were clear, we proceeded west to the valley that is just east of the main road to Collevile where we saw Marines pinned down by fire from the valley and the woods south of Cville.  We moved back along the valley to the south and crossed the bridge again (no falling down this time).  We made our way up the road and took the fork to the right.  The Marines and I think Alpha maybe (?) were just starting to push from the east.  I lead my team down the road and eventually made it to a half octagon formation of railroad ties.  I was directing the movement of my team toward a bunker that was putting fire on us when this COST guy pops up from the other side of the bunker directly into my sites and starts shooting a pistol (pooped a little, not gonna lie).  I was just about to fire on the bunker about 30 yards away and he was directly in my line of fire so I fired.  He went down, and our medic (Kat) did her job and healed our point man.  It was at this point I lost my silencer.  We later reviewed the video from my gopro on my head and it showed the pin holding the QD in was falling out.  When I scaled the wall and came down, the pin fell out.  The silencer, which I later recovered, fell off.    We know exactly where the pin is, but we never found it in all those leaves.

After a quick regoup, we got on line and lead the push into the south eastern portion of the Cville.  Me and my team were among the first to make it to the first line of cement bunkers, and from there we helped push in towards the church.  I assisted Kat on a few rescues while we were there.  UFS at this time were bogged down in the various bunkers around Cville.  During this time, a COST green jeep came barreling through the high grass near us.  C2 lit the vehicle up.  I took out the shotgun with a head shot, and the whole vehicle crew was blind firing their support weapons.  The vehicle was being very unsafe…too fast and not on the roads.  We called for an admin and Bo was right there to take care of it.  Thank you for that Bo!

Charlie2 (C2) pushed up to about three bunkers before the church, and I took my last hit.  I headed back to PB where our Mobile Respawn (MR) was.  During this time, C2 became combat ineffective.   I had two of our guys go retrieve the remnants of C2 that were still trying to take Cville and pull them back to PB and await further orders.

Half of our team (3 of 6 members) needed to go back to the TOC to reload and resupply, so our vehicle, the Hillbilly Express, took them back there.  There were three members of C2, plus Marine 6 Actual and our EOD guy were just hanging out at the ruins near the flag.  At some point, Actual stated maybe we should pull security around the area.  We fanned out around the perimeter, and at this time I spotted movement coming from about a 180 degree arc from the north all the way across to the south at about a 50 yard range in the woods west of the ruins…and they weren’t friendly.  There were approximately 10 guys that I could see directly in front of me and to my right (front west, right north).  They were working to envelope the ruins and take PB.  We got on the horn and told the rest of our platoon to get back to our position ASAP, reloaded or not.  We never got confirmation that the transmission got through, so we hunkered down for what was to be the best firefight of the weekend…5 on about 15 I think.  We traded fire with the COST assault force for about 10 min as they slowly bounded their way up to our position.  Just when things looked to be over, AWOL and I believe ECR showed up on our right flank, and the hillbilly express showed up on the left.  They unloaded a large force on each side and with their help, we rolled through the remaining attackers in short order.  Had these vehicles not showed up at this time, the game for UFS could have turned out much different than it did for both sides.  True, the MR had been moved about 20 min before hand, but that flag point would have fallen in a matter of minutes.  Kat and I performed another pretty awesome rescue under fire at this time, and then Charlie swept through the woods to make sure it was clear.

We were given new orders to patrol the west road, and headed out from PB.  In short order, we approached the west road, but encountered a quad coming through.  It was COST and we lit them up.  We approached the vehicle from its driver side after it stopped due to driver being hit, with me on the road directly to its rear.  There was apparently one guy left, and he put a well aimed three round burst (on semi, not full auto) right into my chest.  He was quickly dispatched by the rest of my team, and Kat healed me up.  We got back to the trail and as the rest of the platoon patrolled the north side of the ravine/creek, C2 patrolled the south side.  We made it to a point just west of the airport and came under moderate attack from the ridgeline west of the airport.  C2 flanked in from the west and attacked up hill.  We didn’t move very well and I took a hit.  Kat healed me under fire, and I change my avenue of approach.  Our DM took out one attacker to the north, and our left flank took out a couple more.  I moved directly up the hill towards the airport with our DM covering me.  I took out the last guy that was harassing our main force, then moved up the hill to the main trail.  At the top of the trail was a lone sniper.  With my last mag in, I pinned him down behind his bunker.  As I got to within five feet, he got up and started to run, firing from the hip with his bolt action as he left.  I fired at the same time, and we both took hits…my last for the day.  Had I made it past him, all of the defenders of the airport were at my 2 oclock and facing the other way.  I could have transitioned to my pistol and taken them all out by myself, effectively taking the airport.  It didn’t matter though as moments later what looked to be the entire UFS force stormed the airport, and with the Marines flanking from the west, the airport was soon over run.

At this time, my back really started seizing, so I put my XO in charge and headed back to the lot.  C2 was involved in the second battle of PB at the end, and from all accounts almost had it taken back at the end, just didn’t have enough time.

Day two started with us back over at the PB again, where the majority of C2 would spend its day attacking and defending.  When I arrived on site aboard the Hillbilly Express, COST held the west side of the bridge and the ruins, with the Marines trying to get across.  After a couple of failed probes, I took a face shot on the left side of the bridge.  I was quickly medic’d, and took another hit shortly there after.  After being hit again, one of our guys (husky) just started to walk across the bridge.  I have no idea why, but no one was shooting at him.  He stood right at the end of the bridge, and I got up and ran to join him, followed by a couple of other Marines.  I was the first to make it across the bridge and went towards the bunker on the right.  Finally, the COST started shooting at us again, but it was too late and I made it to the bunker.  I looked in through the window and saw two dead COST.  Movement inside to the left caught my eye and I quickly traversed to the left, knowing it was too late.  The COST soldier not more than five feet away with only my head to shoot at fired. I braced for the impact that would surely lose me some teeth and it never came.  I quickly called safety, and the COST guy got mad cause he shot first.  I told him he sure did, but he missed, so I then did the right thing by safety killing him instead of shooting him inside min distance.  He could believe he missed, but the proof was in front of him.  I wasn’t screaming in pain or bleeding.  His teammates told him to calm down and that he was out, and he walked away.  I am not sure what happened after this, but on my way back to the building on the east side, there were a lot of red rags for UFS on the bridge.  Medics were quickly getting them back in the fight.  The bridge was cleared, and another couple of vehicles (I think) had showed up and the battle was over.  PB had been secured for the time being.

The MR showed up not too much later, and I was back in the game.  I rallied up C2 and linked up with Marine Actual.  From there, C2 took up defensive positions around the MR.  I became the radio man for Actual as a lot of our radios were dying from batteries going dead.  We sent a couple of Marines across to the ruins near the flag, and they held off a number of attacks with the help of other UFS forces.  At one point, a deuce drove by the ruins.  There was a large group of COST in it laying down.  We thought at first they were going to the TOC, but they ended up unloading on the road leading south away from the buildings just east of the bridge.  Luckily, I had stationed two of my guys in the woods right there where they unloaded, and ECR (I think) just happened to roll up again at that time.  It was a turkey shoot.  We routed that force, and our Heavy Weps guy took out the vehicle.  Must have been a heck of a rocket, because once they turned off the engine, they couldn’t get it started again, so that road was effectively blocked for the rest of the game, and it provided nice cover for us the rest of the day.

We spent the rest of the day pushing back constant attacks on the MR, none of which got past the ruins or the deuce in the road.  I assisted on another open field medic, and then had the highlight of my day…I met Jett PTW and Matt from Evike!  Big fan of both…not gonna lie.  It was cool meeting these guys, and really made for a great finish to the day.

Pros:

AO is awesome

Helicopter.  When we got back home, there was a helo flying over the area. I instinctively took cover J

Admins did a great job.

Semi was fun.  Didn’t have an issue with hit calling.

Cons:  raffle is ridiculous.  2.5 hours?  In the sun?  needs a better location.  Also, someone is going to get seriously hurt one of these days.  Whether it is getting hit with the water, heavy things (got a sprained finger when I turned around only to get smoked by a magpul dual mag clamp) or with the mosh pit, someone is going to get hurt. Please just put the freebees in the player pack so everyone gets something, and people aren’t jumping all over the place not giving a shiat about anyone else.

Vehicle ID.  Need a better way to figure out who is on what team.  Easy solution…have flags on the vehicles.   One team one color, other team a different color.  When they are hit, they pull the flag (kinda like demolition derby).

Sorry for the long post…thanks if you read all the way through.  This was one of the most fun games I have attended, and it is cool to see what a couple of us envisioned a few years ago as a traveling game between chicago, st louis, KC, OK, and Texas has evolved into.  I am proud to be a very small part of origination of this series, and to see what the organizers of the game have turned it into.  I will make it a point never to miss another BH again!

Marine 2 Actual Out

This was my first AMS event and I'll be back for more. There were high tensions during the game and I even lost my cool at one point which made me disappointed in myself (I'm sure everyone's already heard enough bitching so I'll leave it on the field) but AMS staff was there to calm the situation down. I feel their may have been a lack of communications between command and AMS staff during some points but, with them managing so many people it's unsurprising. I saw great sportsmanship out of both teams especially friday. That said there is only only thing I'd like to be changed, clear defined rules for povs and enforcing them heavily I know I had 4 different instances of vehicles breaking the rules 3 of them from 1 vehicle I feel this should have warranted it's removal from them field since i saw AMS address the issue twice and witness a 3rd infraction. That said still had a freaking kick ass time and can't wait to join in next year see you all on the field

in discussing the incident on sunday at the bridge, I am thinking may want to have min engagement distances.  Also, rules state that you don't have to take a safety kill.  That makes no sense.  If I am bearing down on someone and call for a safety, and i have them dead to rights, that should be it.  It is called a safety kill for a reason...for safety.  No min engagement distance is just plain wrong as well.  A 400 fps single shot under 10 ft is just as dangerous as full auto from that distance.

in discussing the incident on sunday at the bridge, I am thinking may want to have min engagement distances.  Also, rules state that you don't have to take a safety kill.  That makes no sense.  If I am bearing down on someone and call for a safety, and i have them dead to rights, that should be it.  It is called a safety kill for a reason...for safety.  No min engagement distance is just plain wrong as well.  A 400 fps single shot under 10 ft is just as dangerous as full auto from that distance.

Wear more protection, bro?

Wear more protection, bro?

yes....that is answer...i should wear full body armor too i guess, right?  Sorry, I would rather not run around in full face mask if i can avoid it.  As far as I can recall, this is the only game where there is no min engagement distance.  I could be wrong, but it just makes sense if you care about player safety to have a rule that protects players.  Unless of course you are out to hurt your fellow player, then of course, the answer is more protection.  I was under the impression we are out there to protect each other and play with honor...maybe i was wrong...

i am just throwing it out there.  I don't know if either of us are correct or wrong, but sarcasm doesn't really address the situation, does it?

Don't be sorry for the comment, but be constructive with it.  If more protection is the answer, I think we are missing the issue.  I might be in the minority on this, and that is fine.  I am just throwing it out there as a possible change, and from a standpoint of someone with a lot of exp running games.

Trying to avoid getting suckered into a debate.  But ok... since sarcasm wont do... ;)

In airsoft, I'm a fan of less rules, and a more common sense approach to solutions.

In this case, where low to no min engagement distance rules are well known and stated before the event.  I'd expect people concerned with close shots to wear additional protection.

Keeping it short since all the points were already covered....

1. Hit calling - no so great, probably because of the semi fire.

2. Medic drag rule - The first time I got dragged, I told my guys don't drag me anymore, still pulling thorns out of my back.

3. Semi rule - SUCKED! Even though I and everyone around me complied with the rule, I kept seeing CoST return fire as full auto. Did they all carry automatic weapons?

4. On more than one occasion I role played getting hit, yelled hit, fell to the ground then pulled out my dead rag held it up then laid it on me and still took fire, BBs were bouncing off my helmet as I laid there. Wtf.

5. Helo run was pretty awesome. They flew over me at Coleville, parked above me and then rained BBs down on me, I flipped them off.

6. Sunday event was better than Saturday especially with UFS holding Coleville against large CoST offensive, I ran out of water and got down to my last mag of BBs at endex.

7. Funniest thing:  CoST vehicle pulls up to Coleville and the troops dismounted and hid behind the POV. I started shooting them in the feet under the vehicle (I was prone only 20 ft away) - I could see them jump, shake their feet, but didn't call their hits until I pelted them with a half dozen hits each. I yelled to my UFS Marine comrads "look I'm shooting them in the feet and they are jumping around and not calling it", we all laughed at that one.

8. All-in-all a tiring fun time held by a great staff. This was my first time at Broken Home and it will be memorable.

Another funny thing:  I was with UFS defending Coleville on Sunday just before endex, I got shot in the mouth but the BB missed all my teeth, I spit it out then yelled hit.