AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey575

Any Diabetics Attending?

Hey guys, so I'm a diabetic, and although I prepare everything I need medically wise for my local small events and skirmishes, I've never had to prep for a big event like this... So to any other diabetics, what all do you do? What do you carry on your person? What do you have in case of low BGL's?

Thanks in advance for any reply I get!

Im not a diabetic but I carry Glucose gel every day in my vehicle's trauma kit, just incase I run into someone who needs it. I would look into it, you can find it at your local drugstore. Because of your post I will throw some into my kit for the OP. Best wishes.

I am the AMS Staff Medic, my advice to you is to make sure that your teammates know of your condition and brief them on what they can do if you go down or start having issues, have your supplies accessible. Make sure you have your Diabetic bracelet or tags on and easily visible. Do not over exhaust yourself, no one knows your body better than you, know your limits. Also, ensure that your condition is listed on your AMS registration forms. Get with me at the event if you have any questions or concerns

Awesome, thanks you, 3-Gun.

Diesel, everyone in my team, which is also everyone in my squad knows of my condition, most of them have offered to carry extra diabetes stuff, including sugary snacks, and my glucagons. My papers are filled out and ready to go, with my condition listed. My bracelet will most likely be on my left wrist, just to let you know. Thanks again, guys.

My son is type 1 so dealing with that I would say glucose tabs or candy bars prob a little thing of juice for a fast carb or Gatorade. But def stay safe cause low blood can sneak up on u out there quicker than anything. Be safe

Absolutely. Im not so full blown diabetic as to need to take insuline, thanks to good luck and a recent turn to a healthier lifestyle, but I have blood sugar issues at games from time to time.

In fact, nearly got me pretty good at Bh1. Thank god for being prepared. Everyone else's advice is pretty solid, just be prepared, carry what you know you'll need in the event of an emergency. make sure one or two squad mates have spares in case you lose something. Then make sure everyone knows to get you to a staff medic or other trained professional if all else fails. Don't be afraid to take it easy if you feel it getting to you. better to take it slow, and maybe miss an hour of the game, than to fall out and miss the whole rest of it.

Sign in to follow this