American MilSim
TheJP

12 Hour Evolution

12 Hour Evolutions  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 12 hour evolutions at AMS events?

• Yes
    • No

We have been discussing having AMS events going to a 12 hour Saturday evolution.

This would mean no PAUSE between STARTEX and ENDEX for the primary evolution, in other words there would be no Lunch or dinner breaks and the event would seamlessly transition from day to night.

Keep in mind, player could enter and exit the AO whenever they want, but the event would NOT PAUSE.

What do you think? Please leave us your feedback!

I like the idea of no lunch break, but I really think there ought to be a short break between the first day game and the night evolution.  An hour would be sufficient.  I think that would help the AMS staff and leadership regroup.

At ESR19 it wouldn't be so bad to have no breaks because we're playing in cool weather.  However, at Rebel Yell I think you guys would have a hard time not having a break if once again we didn't have access to potable water in the field.

Experienced players know where the line is between being okay, and succumbing to heat stroke.  I think we all know that's a thin line and is easy to cross when you're in the heat of the moment.

In the case of Rebel Yell I could see no break between second half Saturday and night evolution being much more feasible.

I think it'd be great, from a storyline perspective.

It would also make the game much harder for leadership on each side. No respite, no breather - the other guy isn't gonna stop, so you can't, either.

13:30 and 18:30 would be great times to make a push. Lots of the opponent's players would likely be away eating...

I think it would also be tougher for the referees.

The players will all need to know to have extra gear handy. Spare guns, spare ammo, water, spare whatever - you'd need to have it pretty close by, so we could go grab it. There's no quartermaster corps in milsim...maybe a shuttle system to ferry players back and forth to a supply spot?

Lunch and dinner breaks are pretty hard-wired into these games. I think it would take some effort to make sure all the players knew there would be no breaks.

But if you could pull it off, it'd be great. Anything that introduces realism is worth considering.

Continuous play...conquered territory...moving regen spots...fighting vehicles...lines of supply...a huge AO that allows large unit movements...those are good goals.

Guest Specs

I'm cool with this concept, provided environmental conditions allow it. Eating in the field might become a viable option rather than risk time leaving the AO. 

But like JO3 Said, at some events like RYII, that heat might be the determining factor. But again, that also can come down to squad dictating it's own safety. But provided there are some major dropouts (ex: crazy hot events like RYII was) then it might be a better call to stop the event for a period rather than running the event and it's missions with few boots on the AO.

I think I'm with him as well in a definitive break/end in the transition from day to night cycle. If nothing else, it gives all of those not wanting to participate in low light operations a clear time when they can all regroup and do things outside the AO.

I'm with specs and Jo3. I am all for it for these late winter early spring and early to late fall games being 12 hour evo's. However games like rebel yell where its 107 outside I don't care who you are Its hard to go full tilt in that small of an AO for that long of a time at that temp. But broken home would be a great test run. By the time the night evo starts everyone should have a second wind and make for a very interesting night game.

Great Idea.  Teams can break if they need one and other teams can keep fighting if the choose, Plus this fixes the wierd restart after breaks on go back to where you where stuff or you lost all the ground you earned and have to start over.  It does require more thought into your needed gear but hey thats what its all about.

I almost voted no - because, why stop at 12?

I really enjoyed the 4-hour cold site from 12-4am that we did the one year. So it was like, 38 hours of OP and 4 hrs downtime.  But anyway... in the spirit of the post - more game time is better!

This is how I used to do things at OK Invasion and other larger OPs. I just brought plenty of little snacks and what not with me onto the field and ate as I felt like I needed it. I'm all for it.

I think its a fan-damn-tastic idea.  I think its a great way to show guys that there is more to milsim than just running around "high speed, low drag" blah blah blah... 

I don't think they should differentiate between OPs at different times of the year.  Its everyone's responsibility to understand what they are getting into, and they need to plan and / or train accordingly.  It will also put a much greater demand on quality leadership, as they will have to keep track of, and keep an eye on their squad members.  

So far I'm the only "No" vote.  I'd like to just clarify that a little more though.

I'm in favor of longer games so long as we have access to water and that we can do it safely.  There's no doubt in my mind that the experienced players would be able to prepare for and engage in an exercise that long, but i think for the sake of the game itself, we should be very cautious about having games 10-12 hours in length.

Can you imagine if some kid fried his brain or even died from one of these long games?  JP- I'm sure there's a limit to how much you guys can limit your liability at these games.

What makes these games possible is that safety is that everyone's first priority is safety.  Can you imagine how difficult it would be for the community, let alone airsoft in general if we had a fatality at one of our events?

Perhaps I'm being a little presumptuous, but I have a feeling that AMS' relationships with the owners of the facilities we play at would be significantly impacted if such a tragedy occurred.

Just because we can do it, doesn't mean we should.

Closing idea before I get back to work -

Perhaps there could be a mandatory squad cool off period for a squad.  Maybe two 30-45min intervals to be taken upon request or guidance of the CO.

I love this idea! Just have a pack and bring an MRE! Good to go, we had some of our team making soup at the FOB at RDG XII haha, we played right on through and had a blast!

Speaking to JO3: I'm a 16 year old kid. I play with a lot of kids my age. And I can tell you they will either be tough enough to stand it, or the will just drop out. Believe me, 12 hours playing airsoft isn't going to kill anyone, literally. 

I like the idea of no lunch break, but I really think there ought to be a short break between the first day game and the night evolution.  An hour would be sufficient.  I think that would help the AMS staff and leadership regroup.

At ESR19 it wouldn't be so bad to have no breaks because we're playing in cool weather.  However, at Rebel Yell I think you guys would have a hard time not having a break if once again we didn't have access to potable water in the field.

Experienced players know where the line is between being okay, and succumbing to heat stroke.  I think we all know that's a thin line and is easy to cross when you're in the heat of the moment.

In the case of Rebel Yell I could see no break between second half Saturday and night evolution being much more feasible.

Joe hit it on the head.

It's very easy to say that you are all for it right now, sitting at your computer or phone. Six hours into an all out fight is a whole different story, and one that tends to burn players out quick. Historically, almost every op sees a dramatic loss of return players on day two, and if you push too hard, that will only increase.

Some of us are in good enough shape it doesn't affect us as much, but most are not... and these events need to be enjoyable to them as well.

Add to that admins aren't having anywhere near as much of an adrenaline rush as players, and REALLY get burned out. Last thing any of us wants are cranky admins!

Why don't we try this at ESR19 and see how it goes. I know BH2 last year didn't seem to have a break and it was awesome eating a power-bar in the middle of a firefight.