American MilSim
missionspec

Tuning the Baofeng to GMRS/FRS freqs with proper PL Tone usage

Guest Specs

A quick question for AMS events. (Whoever can answer. JP perhaps.) At events, do the broadcasted comm channels require an amateur ham license when using Baofangs, Puxings, etc.? At RY2 I managed to tune into and communicate with such channels using a Motorola Talkabout, but I know that the range and power of these radios are far higher.

-Edited-

After combing through some older threads, I found a lengthy discussion on the UV-5R that covers my question. Guess I'll be taking the plunge into this difficult interface like the many others before me.

Edited by Specs

A quick question for AMS events. (Whoever can answer. JP perhaps.) At events, do the broadcasted comm channels require an amateur ham license when using Baofangs, Puxings, etc.? At RY2 I managed to tune into and communicate with such channels using a Motorola Talkabout, but I know that the range and power of these radios are far higher.

Technically it is illegal to transmit over 0.5 watts on any FRS freq and over 1.0 watts on any GMRS freq.  It is also illegal to transmit on any GMRS freq at all without a specific GMRS license.  That being said.  It is largely unenforced.  You will most likely have no trouble transmitting on these freqs.  Although it might attract attention if you all of a sudden started outputting 25 watts of power.

The Amateur license comes in with a ton of OTHER freqs that these radios are capable of.  They also have their own rules and regs.  Such as identifying your station every 10-15 mins.  It does not apply to GMRS or FRS.

Although, if you want to become a comms god... Join your local amateur club.  They love teaching new people and you will pick up tons of knowledge very quickly.

Guest Specs

Technically it is illegal to transmit over 0.5 watts on any FRS freq and over 1.0 watts on any GMRS freq.  It is also illegal to transmit on any GMRS freq at all without a specific GMRS license.  That being said.  It is largely unenforced.  You will most likely have no trouble transmitting on these freqs.  Although it might attract attention if you all of a sudden started outputting 25 watts of power.

The Amateur license comes in with a ton of OTHER freqs that these radios are capable of.  They also have their own rules and regs.  Such as identifying your station every 10-15 mins.  It does not apply to GMRS or FRS.

Although, if you want to become a comms god... Join your local amateur club.  They love teaching new people and you will pick up tons of knowledge very quickly.

Seems like a really awesome subculture to delve into. Might have to check around and see if there's an underground radio community in my area.

The Baofeng is a great radio for airsoft, but the manual it comes with is pretty weak.  If you'd like more information you should check out Jim's manual here: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Manuals.html

That manual makes the radio much more accessible and for beginners less daunting.

Edit:  Any squad/platoon leader who is using this radio should really look into the dual channel watch feature of the radio.

MURS channels are a good place to transmit unnoticed.  It's an unlicensed band but not many people use it even in the cities.  The only down side is like GMRS/FRS you are supposed to have a radio licesned by the FCC to operate in those bands but MURS radios are few and far between. 

A MURS radio is supposed to be certified by the FCC for "Part 95 operation".  You're also limited to 2 watts of power.  But as with FRS/GMRS freqs as long as you use some common sense and aren't out running you mobile VHF/UHF rig at 60 watts and sticking with the lower power HTs you will more than likely never be noticed.  The FCC has very finite resources and chasing down a bunch of folks playing a game with plastic BBs probably isn't very high.  The truckers out there running their illegal inline amplifiers at 100 watts (CB is limited to 4 watts by law) on CB channels probably have a higher priority. 

The below link will give you the frequncies and required bandwith settings for MURS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service

5 bucks and it's good for 10 years.  At least hwere I took mine it was 5 bucks.  I mainly got it to get access to repeater systems in the area.  My buddy and myself use them pretty often and my wife is going to get her license in the near future since the repeater coverage out here in SOCAL is pretty impressive.  I can pretty much contact her from anywhere in the west part of the county from the repeater me and my buddy normally use. 

You can transmit GMRS at 50 watts; combo radios are not capable of this power but you can buy a 50 watt class 95 radio for GMRS.  Please get your license for GMRS