American MilSim
HOWBOY

HK M27 IAR

As a proud new owner of the M27, I feel the need to question where it will fit in with AMS Ruleset. Is it a support weapon, DMR, or rifle? As many know it is replacing some of the SAWs in the Marine Corps which would lead one to believe it would be classified as a support weapon. However, in nearly every article I've read, one of the reasons the Marine Corps has decided to purchase the M27 is because of its versatility. It can be used as a DMR with a rifle scope or even be used as simply another assault rifle.

Out of the box my M27 shoots within the 400fps limit of a field rifle. Without modification, it's capable of automatic fire. I personally plan on running it as a field rifle unless rules specify otherwise. If it's listed as a support weapon, would box mags be allowed or would a player need to stick to M4 style mags like the military does?

As many know it is replacing some of the SAWs in the Marine Corps which would lead one to believe it would be classified as a support weapon.

//stick to M4 style mags like the military does?

I think that answers your own question.  I haven't seen any pictures of an M27 w/ Cmag, but I don't spend time on milphotos.  I thought USMC was issuing them with 30 rnd stanag mags.

HK417 failed German Army DMR field tests, by the way.  Can you cite where you read it was getting adopted as a US DMR (or were you referring to airsoft DMR)?

No not that it was being adopted as a DMR, but that it was a versatile weapon with other capabilities such as.........I don't remember where I read it, but it was in more than one article. Ran across it while Googling the M27 one late, cold winter night. I personally still don't understand why the Marines would replace a sustained fire, belt fed weapon with another "rifle." There's something to be said about the music coming from 2 SAWs working in harmony. Would scare the hell out of me.

One reason they looked at replacing the SAW is the gunners were being singled out by snipers and some smart guy thought it would be good to do away with the weight of the gun and issue a lighter magazine fed weapon so all the boots looked the same. Another reason is we (Marines) don't spend enough time on the range with the weapon that is quickly becoming out dated and instead of replacing it, again some smart guy decided it would be better to have a lighter weapon. I guess this is what we get for having a Commandant that is an air winger rather than a grunt LOL.

Yeah, I've read the articles. Still seems a little wishy washy to me. I understand their reasoning and there's a reason snipers target the gunners. Those damn things are scary! But none of this gives me AMS's stand on the weapon. Based on the rules and the FPS of the weapon it would fall under an assault rifle's criteria. The only hangup I see is that if it's classified as a Support weapon, a squad would not be able to run an M27 and a SAW. Only one support weapon is allowed per squad.

Like I've seen Runt511 post on several other threads, wait until after the holidays and I'm sure the AMS staff will be quick to answer all of you questions.

They have families and take time off this time of year just like we do.

The (dis)advantage to having a normal, full sized SSW is that it is heavy.  With everyone slinging around 120-200 round magazines on full auto it kind of defeats the purpose of a SSW, as the military traditionally uses semi-auto only.  Take that 6 pound package (or whatever the AEG M27 weighs) and stick a 1000 round magazine into it and there's no point to bother with a heavy/bulky LMG.  

FWIW I think high cap mags in airsoft need to be restricted to cumbersome systems.  SSW should be a terrific combat multiplier to the squad, not some "meh" 'let's do it because its cool'.

I never got a straight answer on it when I asked, so I scrapped the M27 Project. To me, its just the same as my 416 only with a longer RIS and barrel.

Honestly, The USMC uses these platforms with HK's 45 round 5.56 magazine (IIRC). For the marines its the happy medium between a DMR and a Support weapon due to its range, precision and piston operated system reducing recoil.

So I would say the M27 is a Field rifle any way you look at it in the airsoft world

In A marine Corps Fire Team, the support weapon is the M27 IAR, and it is still set up with an a gunner carrying extra mags runt is correct on the 45 rd mags, my buddy's down range mainly see them as a support role, the only time there used is as a dmr is when there in a guardian angel type position although smaller MEF units still issue the M249 saw for most of their support roles, SOI are still training with the saws, and cross training with the IAR but the Marine Corps time noted a small article on the swap if you dig you can probably find it.

We are discussing this, most likely we will NOT ALLOW the M27 to run any type of HIGH cap or DRUM mags.

That kind of disappoints me. I was personally wanting to run mine with high caps and play the gunner role, but it's not my event so it's cool.

That kind of disappoints me. I was personally wanting to run mine with high caps and play the gunner role, but it's not my event so it's cool.

I have a 13 pound SAW you can carry :)

Has there been a definitive decision made on whether or not the M27 will be considered a support weapon at OBH or not?

99.9% no

For future consideration: I would suggest a ssw compliment of rounds. I would also allow full auto. My caviot would be no flash-mags, hi-caps or drum mags. Basically this would limit the weapon to the role it is being used in the USMC. I understand and support the idea of the m27 being classified as a rifle mans weapon. However the challenge is to adapt its real world application to the milsim event. It's not an easy task but I have every confidence that the situation will be resolved in the future. END OF RANT!