AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Guest Specs

Batteries and how your team manages the charging issue.

Guest Specs

Hey all, Specs from OMM with a somewhat blurred question. As my team and I prepare for ESR19 in march, and many of us will be running AEG's rather than gas, I wanted to ask around to see how many spare batteries many of you carry (and I'm sure voltage and whatnot is a huge factor) to last throughout the day, and if and how you manage to recharge everything on an AO without a power source. Do you sport portable generators, just bring more batteries, etc.

Thanks all!

Many good battery chargers will also charge from a 12v source i.e. from your car's battery.  I think there is also electricity available at many AOs (read the AO information and game information, it will usually say).  Bringing additional pre-charged batteries is always another option.  I generally don't carry more batteries besides what is in my gun, unless I know it is a tiny battery or I will be firing a LOT.  (I'm not a heavy ammo user to begin with).  Most of my guns are configured to fit a larger battery if possible and I rarely have to make battery changes.  In many cases if I have been firing a lot I will swap out batteries at the car or during a break just to be safe. 

As usual, YMMV!

Jazz is on the money, most chargers can work off a car battery, an inverter is never a bad thing to have in a  vehicle anyhow.

This is the charger I have used last few years w/o issue.

A safe rule of thumb is battery MAH amount = Number of rounds, keep in mind single shot and the cold will run down a battery much quicker.

i.e. 1,100 MAH battery should get you at least 1.1k rounds.

Edited by TheJP
TYPOZ

Not to be a douche, but this post is most definitely in the wrong section. This section is for buying, selling, or trading guns or gear. The 'off topic' thread or 'general MilSim information' would have been best.

I always bring my battery chargers to an OP even if I've already charged my batteries before I leave home. Even if YOU end up not needing it, surely some one from your team will. Some one will ALWAYS forget something and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. On the field though, if my gun will hold a battery that has at least 2000mah then I never carry an extra. However, when I run my AK's, M4 buffer tube or PEQ box batteries, then I never go out without an extra. I don't usually shoot a bunch, you have no way to know what you'll get into or come up against at an furring an OP so I carry one extra because my lipo's for those guns usually run only ~1200mah and can only get me through 1.5-2.5 complete reloads on all my mags. I carried an extra at FG2 even though I had a larger battery for my AK that was wired to the rear and I found myself swapping to my spare on the second day in the middle of a fire fight. I wouldn't my wen bring more than one on the field though. If you go through more than that, then you need to re-evaluate your play style and quite shooting so much.

There are a few obvious answers like bring more batteries, charge them off a car etc but in all reality a tiny generator is generally a welcome tool regardless.   I have been dealing with gens for years now and have a bit of advice:  

#1 For this type of use, get the SMALLEST generator you can find.   You're looking at about 250 watts of pull if you plug in a pair of fast chargers and/or perhaps 100 watts driving some lights for your camp area.  You do not need a big gen to pull all of that off, You'll just make noise and waste gas.  

#2 DO NOT BUY CHINESE GENERATORS.   They are of absurdly poor quality and the power they provide has a bad habit of letting the smoke out of battery chargers.   Your best bet is to watch Craigs List and try to snap up any older Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki generator that is 1000W or smaller.  Those things are stupid reliable, fairly quiet, and sip fuel.   

#3 Be considerate of others and site your genset such that it's noise is not a distraction.   When I use my little ones, I'll usually run them into the forest a bit then dig a hole around a foot deep and drop them in there (with plenty of room around them for air circulation)  That pretty much wipes out the noise such that many people then wonder where you are getting 110V power from.  

#4 Regardess of what generator you use, make sure to check the Hertz output (Hz on a multimeter) You'll want it running right at 60Hz if you want to keep your chargers happy.  You adjust the Hertz by changing the engine speed.  Hertz to low?  Increase engine speed.  Hertz to high?  Decrease engine speed.   Right along with that, notice that sometimes if you overload your gen, the engine speed drops with the load.  That of course means so does your Hertz reading which plays hell with chargers so avoid plugging your hair drier in to one outlet while your charger is in the other.  

#5 Most of the small gens are also designed to charge 12V batteries often times with the use of special cables or plugs.  If yours has that option, make sure to get the cables, this is an absurdly handy feature that will make you very popular with the guys who left inverters on in their car all night and killed their batteries.   Just plug the gen in, let it sit there and whir contently for an hour or so, then crank the car right up.   We have even used this feature to get vehicles home that suffered alternator failures by literally bungee cording the generator to the trunk lid and running an extension wire to the battery to keep the power up while the car drove home.  

Anyhow, hope this helps.  

Guest Specs

Thanks all for the great responses, and thanks to JP for the move. Should have read the forum subtext. 

Anywho, We've been discussing car chargers for sure. My father also used to have a large portable electric battery that we could pull from. So maybe I'll see about hunting that down. No bother with gas that way, and our neighbors won't get any of the white noise.  ;)

I'll be making the jump from my old A&K Springer to an Echo 1 CSR, which I believe runs off an 8.4V stick type. So under semi-auto only firing mode throughout the course the of the day, I'm considering maybe 1 spare to keep along to switch out while the other charges. (Been looking at mid-ranged lipos. Particularly for the slightly increased trigger response.) Hard to tell really without putting enough rounds through the thing to check it out myself. (Which I'll be sure to do prior to ESR19.) 

Speaking of which, those of you that have been to ESR19 in events past, did the on-site camping area have access to power? I know outlets can, at times, be a commodity, so we'd be sure to bring our share of power strips regardless.

JP- Love that MAH rule of thumb. Batteries seem to be a tricky thing to gauge considering it all depends on the players actions and the platform they run, so that basic rule isn't a bad thing to keep in the back of our minds. 

Thanks all for the great responses, and thanks to JP for the move. Should have read the forum subtext. 

Anywho, We've been discussing car chargers for sure. My father also used to have a large portable electric battery that we could pull from. So maybe I'll see about hunting that down. No bother with gas that way, and our neighbors won't get any of the white noise.  ;)

I'll be making the jump from my old A&K Springer to an Echo 1 CSR, which I believe runs off an 8.4V stick type. So under semi-auto only firing mode throughout the course the of the day, I'm considering maybe 1 spare to keep along to switch out while the other charges. (Been looking at mid-ranged lipos. Particularly for the slightly increased trigger response.) Hard to tell really without putting enough rounds through the thing to check it out myself. (Which I'll be sure to do prior to ESR19.) 

Speaking of which, those of you that have been to ESR19 in events past, did the on-site camping area have access to power? I know outlets can, at times, be a commodity, so we'd be sure to bring our share of power strips regardless.

JP- Love that MAH rule of thumb. Batteries seem to be a tricky thing to gauge considering it all depends on the players actions and the platform they run, so that basic rule isn't a bad thing to keep in the back of our minds. 

Depends on the location. If ESR-19 is In Roosevelt then no. However if they offer indoor camping, bust out the extra 20 bucks per 5 people because: 1. It gets you out of the cold. 2. You will have a bathroom at least for 1 night. (second night I would not advise opening the door.) and 3. You can charge your batteries.

Guest Specs

Depends on the location. If ESR-19 is In Roosevelt then no. However if they offer indoor camping, bust out the extra 20 bucks per 5 people because: 1. It gets you out of the cold. 2. You will have a bathroom at least for 1 night. (second night I would not advise opening the door.) and 3. You can charge your batteries.

Agreed. One thing I absolutely loved about RY2's barracks setup.