Recent Topics
Recent Facebook Activity
Upcoming Calendar Events
There are no forthcoming calendar events
Recent Status Updates
  • Photo
      15 Oct
    Mia Doll

If you really want to wear traditional dresses, just start to wear kilts. It’s the heritage of Scotland and resemblance of Scottish culture

View All Updates
June 2019
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Next Previous
Photo

Faded Giant 2 AAR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

The Rick

The Rick

AMS Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

And the AAR starts now!

The Rick

The Rick

AMS Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

And the AAR starts now!

Umbra

Umbra

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Umbra's AAR:

Great freaking weekend! This was my first American Milsim game, and you will definitely see me at another one (FG3!?). It's been a long time since I've played in an AO that wasn't familiar or predictable, and this one definitely took me by surprise. I've played all over the east coast at different training facilities, but never at one that filled this type of industrial-outdoor feel. I've always wanted to play in a place like this ever since I started 13+ years ago. Great find!

I thought I'd regret bringing the long gun, but it ended up being one of the most useful tools in our arsenal. Thanks to all the greenies that called their hit by a single BB while they were left wondering where it came from. I know it can be hard to call a single hit from what shouldn't be a hostile angle, but most of you were great sports about it.

My highlights:
- The amazing AO, that I know I only saw a fraction of. I need a whole weekend of just exploring.
- The impromptu assist of a DAM mission, being the last to guard the laptop without even knowing it.
- The single handed complete stoppage of multiple green breach attempts at the northern entrance of building 3 by utilizing an epic hiding spot in the "rafters".
- All the sweet sniper's dream angle shots from towers-to-ground, ground-to-towers, and darkness to light. I got more top shots this weekend than I have in the past year.
- The raffle was amazeballs. It definitely lived up to the rumors, as two of our buddies ended up going home with new guns. I'm also diggin my new Airsoft GI hat.

The only real constructive criticism I have for the event was the terrible IFF incidents that occurred from the similarities between green ATACs and Multicam. Those two patterns should never be at the same event (and both technically don't work well for IFF in the first place). If it was up to me, green ATACs would be "banned" in events that require any sort of team identification based on TAN vs GREEN. Anyone that feels they can argue that clearly needs to change their prescription. Case and point was the fact that ATAC players were taking advantage of the ambiguity and casually walking up to our FOB. I know this might not be the individual player's fault, since a lot of us were told what to wear as to match a squad, but there needs to be some push back based on common sense. The cost of numerous IFF incidents and the frustrated paying customers that have to deal with it grossly outweighs the cost of forcing someone wear a uniform that can't be mistaken for tan. In an attempt to not be hypocritical, this can be applied to Multicam as well, albeit not as severe. This whole hobby revolves around the ability to tell who is on which team, and allowing a pattern that blurs that line is blurring the entire experience.

Thanks to:
- American Milsim for putting on a great event and hearding cats for the weekend
- GTI for allowing us to use the facility and dealing with a ton of airsofters
- All the sponsors for listening to our feedback and providing a superb raffle
- Both commanders for stepping up and giving us a fight worth fighting
- My SWC buddies for all the shenanigans... on and off the field
- The BB gods for helping my shots fly true

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

I am slammed at work so I will try and do a quick re-cap, I was assigned to UFS command so I did not get too far out of earshot from Raptorkat or Rev.

UFS forces started Far South of the Complex, with a pre-deployed squad that would stage in Building 4 and then maneuver however they saw fit once STAREX was called. Unfortunately I moved these guys into Building 3 and had to delay their deployment about 30 second into STARTEX (Sorry YD, you guys still did a great job getting us enough time to get our other squads in place).

UFS and CoST forces engaged on the pipeline ridge north of Building 3 and 4, most CoST forces immediately maneuvered to the east and west going around the UFS position to get into the complex and pipe yard.

After I bleed out I went to our FOB which was already set down the hill South of Building 5. Once I was back in play I spent the majority of the first evolution defending the FOB from CoST elements flanking from the West. At one point with the help of YD we where able to break the flank and advance onto the Two towers facility. Once there we tried to push in on the Pipe Yard and slow CoST's ability to re-enforce their positions, sadly we managed to lose this position about 45 min after capturing it.

During the fire fight I was killed and searched hence CoST had obtained one of the two Combat Combat controller INTEL packs. CoST was able to use the map located in my intel packet to recover a flue coupler. 

During this time UFS forces lost around 20% of their effectiveness as we had squads begin to filter out for DAMs. During this time fram UFS command decided to be more defensive in nature as CoST pressure was constant  and we did not want to lose our FOB before the evolution one pause.

I will say I saw an amazing flank and diversionary tactic from CoST regardless if it was "planned" or not it worked perfect. During this little flank skirmish on both the east and west phase lines Bash from D9 was able to causally walk up to our FOB say "Hi" to Federal forces there reloading, etc..  and clip our flag off. I was floored and amazed. I was not sure if I was super-pissed that we allowed this to happen or in utter awe of what just transpired. The only saving grace is that UFS managed to capture the CoST FOB as well. I am not sure of the circumstance of this, but as I went to our TOC to confirm what I believed was the re-capture of our FOB flag I was surprised to see it was the Coalition flag instead.

Soon after we lost our FOB ENDEX was called for the afternoon pause. Coming back on the AO for EV2 both CoST and UFS forces re-deployed their force (this process was not smooth by any means of the imagination, we are already in the works to address this issue.) At STARTEX for EV2 UFS forces immediately took fire from CoST forces west and South from Building 5. CoST forces quickly took Building 5 and secured it as the majority of UFS forces went into Building 4 and north along the western fence line. I spent the majority of the afternoon defending our FOB and trying to work Building 5. We where finally able to lock down 2 of the three ingress/egress routes of Building 5 so my plan was to say "screw it" on breaching Building 5 but instead try and trap whatever CoST forces were inside.

At some point I managed to use my "Spidey" sense  LIKE A BOSS and fall into one of the giant erosion ditches south of Building 5 while in a gun fight with a Coalition solider. After that point it is all a bit of a blur as I headed back to camp in order to re-load, re-fit and take a shit ton of ibuprofen.

To be continued ... after meetings(s)

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Operation Faded Giant II was conducted in six phases.  The first phase was receipt of the operations order and dissemination.  The second phase was travelling to GTI (South Carolina) and a terrain walk/leader's reconnaissance.  Phases 3, 4, and 5 were evolutions in the morning, evening, and night of Saturday, respectively.  Phase 6 was an extended morning game, and Phase 7 was reconsolidation, raffle, and drive home.  For background, I was the CoST XO under Greg (CO).

Phase 1: Receipt of OPORD and Dissemination

Greg received an OPORD from CoST Higher and disseminated to all players on CoST Registration.  OPORD was a typical generic OPORD with a couple points of interest (to me).  The Situation paragraph was written well and I appreciated the Appendix 1 at the end.  The dissemination of the order went fine, as far as I can tell.  No problems arose in the following days so we can assume everyone received it.  Greg hosted a leadership conference Wednesday with CoST Higher (Big Bo) and squad leaders to get a map and op orientation brief.  Without boots on group, a tactical plan is difficult to make and it was decided to hold off until phase 2.

Phase 2: Travel, Terrain Walk/Leader's Recon, Develop and Deliver Plan

GTI is a long damn drive... ugh.  Once we got there we immediately debarked and started checking out the AO.  Some pictures were taken, but due to the sheer size of GTI and my limited phone capability it was decided to only show aerial photos during the operations brief.  Greg and I wandered the AO for an hour or so, looking for key terrain and avenues of approach.  These would be crucial during the game.  We knew we were spawning to the north, but the spawn point was pretty far back and had a lot of obstacles around it.  I spotted these during my private study, but they were not addressed during the leadership conference by CoST Higher.  We had a brief with AMS staff and UFS command and multiple points were brought up.  It seemed to me like these issues could have been planned for and dealt with prior day before the game.  Some issues were full auto fire indoors, base emplacement, mobile FOB, At any rate, it was decided that we would spawn north and south, which UFS agreed upon.  We then scouted out the area, agreed upon it, and Greg developed his plan while I worked on our presentation.  During the operations brief (which I won't discuss because noneya!) an AMS staff member came in and delivered some bad news about UFS prestaging prior game LD.  Poor timing, but the information was valuable and we appreciate not finding out after STARTEX was declared.  Questions were answered, people got confused, laughs were made, tears cried, etc.  Only mentionable part of the brief happened after it was finished: 

1459920_127217027448780_2137723181_n.jpg

Phase 3: Morning Evolution

Bit of a late start, but everyone was still running on Oklahoma time so that is to be expected (not really...).  STARTEX declared, and we were immediately fired upon by UFS dudes on the ridgeline to our 12.  *!&^#$& that was annoying.  I only know of what happened on the east side of the field as that was my assigned AO.  One squad took building three for quite some time.  We took sporadic fire from the ridgeline to the east and had to fight off advances all morning from the upstairs.  Not until one of the squads pulled from the building did UFS get access to it.  I believe sometime we emplaced the FOB, but I cannot remember when UFS finally got to it.  

Phase 4: Afternoon Evolution

Back to the east side did I go.  Squad integrity seemed to breakdown somewhat, making it harder for teammates filtering through the spawn to find where their buddies were.  Issues with comms were common all day.  I will never, ever buy a baofeng after that weekend.  Fortunately, Greg had an Icom I borrowed, which worked (until the lack of key lock switched me to a different channel every 10 min).  I don't remember this evolution all too well, but I do remember one particular instance of a mission that seemed sloppy.  We heard over command net that there was a energy rod or something hidden somewhere in a bathroom in building 4 (?).  After a team futzed (Futzed is an actual word.  Look it up.  WTF English?!)  around trying to find it for a while an admin came out to investigate and told us that it was actually in building three.  Squads were scarce at this time and my current mission-taker-of-choice (Squad 2) was preoccupied with a jerk UFS holding an entire hallway by himself, so one of the bigass Canadian's (SAW gunner) and myself decided to breach and clear the bathroom in bld 3 to find the rod ourselves.  One poor left behind UFS member gave himself up after realizing his buddies had abandoned him - more evidence of the superior comradery of the CoST Army.  We cleared the room and took off running with the rod after trying to figure out how to open a combo lock with the written directions.  Fifth times a charm!  Rod was returned and the game continued with more missions like this filtering in.  Phase 4 finally ended and I retired to my cot to change and give JP a hard time about losing his patches.  

Phase 5: Night Game

I didn't much feel like playing the night game.  I volunteered for a DAM mission and had fun taking potshots at people through my NODs.  I remember hearing that CoST had claimed most of the goal points/sticks and had cached them, but because no one brought them to the spawn point in the morning NO ONE got any points.  That seemed like a pretty shitty game design to me, but everyone seemed to have fun during the actual game.

Phase 6: Sunday Morning Evolution

Sunday kicked off about 20 minutes late with squads/members sauntering up at their leisure.  We decided the night before to change spawns to NE and SW instead of NS, which made for a more fun experience I think.  I lead a squad through building three and four to the SW corner of four.  From here I took several potshots at Raptorkat myself (though outranged).  The SW corner was breach, banged, and cleared by UFS.  This lead for a great firefight, but I was disappointed in the actions of several players.  Hit calling is always an issue, but some players took it upon themselves to angrily reproach other players for shooting them after they called hit - note that this player was standing in the middle of a hallway with many, many BBs trading sides.  I pulled him aside and told him to chill out or kick rocks which seemed to calm him down.  I left a magazine here on accident (and found it in spawn - thank you whoever that was!!!).  At this point Greg started sending me out on missions with different squads to help coordinate.  The first go ended disastrously - we walked directly into a three way ambush at the NW corner of the main field and were quickly cut down.  The second ended almost the same, with UFS members crawling up our butts.  The third was drastically different, however.  We were tasked with meeting a conscientious objector (UFS) who offered to trade us secrets for a uh... hydraulic coupling (forgot what it was supposed to be) and safe passage.  Under squad 2's security, I cleared this angel of shortness, talked for a while, then pulled him the hell out back to our base.  Using the information we obtained we started getting a picture of what UFS was trying to accomplish - if they couldnt have the NPP, NO ONE could have it.  Shortly after the UFS hobbit was obtained I noticed we had another prisoner at the base.  Deciding to press my luck from my earlier success, I decided to push the angry CoST players back and helped the UFS enlistee see the light.  We cleared his gear, searched his pockets, and I began asking questions to find out what exactly UFS was trying to accomplish.  After realizing that his situation was utterly hopeless (sorry pal, but once I get a hold of you there is no chance of escape :) ) he started spilling the beans.  This enlistee had been an oilfield worker trying to rig up natural gas lines to the plant when he was forced into service - more evidence of a deteriorating UFS.  His information confirmed what the UFS Angel of Vertical Challengedness had told us - UFS was planting a bomb, and they were doing it soon.  We extracted the UFS to the rear for following questioning/joke telling/nail pulling/re-education and started pushing all available fighters to the NW side of the main field.  Our new objective was the pipeyard, which looks exactly as it sounds - pipes everywhere.  After frantic pushes on both sides and heroics all around, ENDEX was declared and we headed back to the assembly area.  

Phase 7: Reconsolidation, Raffle, Drive Home

Greg and I did not feel we did well on Sunday, but we were rather surprised upon hearing the scores.  Once we verified everything was in order we scooted over to the Raffle Of A Thousand Years.  I didn't win anything.  Once that ended, we packed up and drove like we stole it until I got home.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sustains:

No full auto indoors

No Minimum Engagement Distances (for riflemen)

Mobile FOB spawn points

Changing spawn points

Improves:

Time management

Less discourse during briefs - have a plan set and ready to go

Awkward spawn points (originally CoST spawned behind a series of fences - this was immediately changed once AMS reached the field).

Squad Integrity - multiple squads broke down, making it harder to plan and coordinate

Communications - Stupid baofeng...

All in all it was a great time.  The field is quite amazing and worth the trip alone.  I hope my work schedule allows for FGIII.

Oh yeah, and this happened:

1456684_10153455513335548_1369757571_n.j

stuckmojo

stuckmojo

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

what can i say....another great game put on my ams.  i was pleased to see that the ams staff listened to the players that were there last year and made some changes.  ie stair well fighting and more squad missions.   even though i had to cut out early due to a family emergency i had a blast.  special thanks to vallhalla oda for letting me run with you guys and be your rto.  we spent most of the day saturday outside the buildings and in the woods but the nite game and sunday game we got missions in the buildings.  high light for us saturday was getting both rick and jp and getting their intel.  i will say that the sportsman ship this year was not as good as last year but that didnt ruin the game for me.  players need to remember this is a hobby not a real war.  case in point usf players threw not 1 but 3 battlefield smoke grenades into building 5 while we were in there on saturday.  a few of us got sick because of that.  but like i said i still had a blast and cant wait until next year.  oh and greg did a great job commanding cost forces

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationNeosho Missouri
We had almost no issues at all identifying ATACS FG from Multicam. If we're gonna be picky and choosy about some incidents resulting from poor target identification then we should just have M81 woodland and DCU.
"Listen dammit! We will win." James Hettfield

"Give up motherf***er, every body has to die!" Corey Taylor

Posted Image

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

During this little flank skirmish on both the east and west phase lines Bash from D9 was able to causally walk up to our FOB say "Hi" to Federal forces there reloading, etc.. and clip our flag off. I was floored and amazed. I was not sure if I was super-pissed that we allowed this to happen or in utter awe of what just transpired.

This move was a joint effort by members of D9, Coal Creek Command, and ARA. We actually had FOUR people being Nasty, Slab, Bash, and myself (part of Aesir Strategic) walk right into the FOB instructing one another and UFS troops to look out and call out fictitious enemy positions. Once at the FOB we casually talked to a couple UFS troops while I used my multitool to clip the flag down while Bash said 'he man, be sure to get that real tight'. I casually rolled it up under my arm and we strolled out at a casual pace. It wasn't until we heard 'hey. what are those green guys doing over there?!' that we were made. I heard Bash yell 'RUN!! WE'RE MADE!!' I took off in a dead sprint while my CoST brethren watched my six. Anderson was back at the CoST FOB where I said 'I have a present for you!' shortly after I slammed the flag down on the ground like I had made a touchdown.

This was just the beginning of Aesir Strategic, ARA, and Death's Hand (Canada!) becoming a weekend long wedgie for Raptorkat and UFS in general because we were up their ass!!

Posted Image

Kermit

Kermit

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationElizabethtown, ky

I had a great time, Don't really feel like writing up a full AAR at the moment.

Op. Broken Home UFS 1-1 DM (Squad Sportsmanship Award)

Op. Southern Comfort FASC 1st PLT Sniper

Op. Blind Fury 9 Manibians 2-2 SAW

Op. Irene X Delta 5-1 SAW

Op. Red Storm East II Russian 3-3 rifleman (3rd platoon most distinguished squad)

Op. Blind Fury X Tropicos 2-2 combat engineer/Gatonator gunner

Op. Sovereign Fury US Bravo 1-4 Rifleman

Op. Blue/Grey CoST 3-3 Rifleman

Op. Faded Giant 2 CoST 1-4 Rifleman

Op. Blacksheep @ Shelby 4-1 Rifleman

Op. Red Storm east III Scorpion 4-2 Rifleman

Op. Broken Home 3 CoST 4-2 Rifleman (CoST most distinguished Platoon)

Op. Liberty Tan

Op. Ironclad UFS 1-3 SAW

Op. Faded Giant 3 UFS

Op. Homeland SOCOM

Op. Red Storm east 4 Socom

The Milwaukee Project Socom

Op. 34 II UFS 

"Those who think it cannot be done...need to stay out of the way of those of us doing it."

Guest_Specs_*

Guest_Specs_*
  • Guests

I've had some issues with MC in past events as it has both tan and green tones in the pattern, but ultimately, camo identification and personnel identification comes down to a very real albiet overlooked skill all AMS players need to take on themselves. And that's ID'ing the players before taking action. If the players in question are at a distance and you are having difficulty identifying what pattern they are wearing, then you need to find someone with the right position or optics within  your team that can help you with that information. 

It's a tricky issue, but that's just camo doing what camo does. Blending in, be that with environment or people.

If it's a serious issue at AMS events, I wouldn't limit camoflauge pattern, I'd limit tops versus bottoms. Whatever pattern on the legs, and a solid team color on the torso. CDF for that reason was quiet easy to pick out at RY2 simply because most wore black T-shirts, despite the range of camo (mostly woodland mind you) happening below the belt.

(All that aside, I'm extremely jealous I couldn't make it to this AO. Seems like it was an amazing opportunity/facility.)

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

We had almost no issues at all identifying ATACS FG from Multicam. If we're gonna be picky and choosy about some incidents resulting from poor target identification then we should just have M81 woodland and DCU.

We had this discussion with AMS staff before... basically, no one owns DCU anymore and its hard to find.  Multicam vs M81 sounds pretty reasonable, though.

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

We had this discussion with AMS staff before... basically, no one owns DCU anymore and its hard to find. Multicam vs M81 sounds pretty reasonable, though.

I have more sets (DCU) than I can wear at once. I got all mine when it was the current hotness.

I don't know, Dave. MC has some green in it. I might get confused....;)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users