American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
MAYO

Facebook Rant

First, sorry I couldn't make it to Faded Giant II. Really wanted to but had some family medical issues.

Secondly, the following is from a facebook group that I'll spare you guys the majority of the posts and paraphrase the post and replies. Basically, someone asked if Faded Giant II was good. Yes, no, etcs. Then the topic kind of went left and right and started going over whether AMS is MilSim or not, bad leadership, etc.

Below is just my opinion that I posted within the group and thought I'd share with you guys here that aren't a part of that group.

Some might not like it, but I know some of you have nothing else to do but read forums (Dave) so whatever. I try to be as impartial as possible when commenting on the subject.

Anyway, here you go.

Illl give a bit of history on my part. I've ran on the COST command (XO) several times and have spent a lot of time prior to AMS's creation with some of the owners of AMS. I will admit that there is a chance my opinions are partial towards AMS as I'm friends with some of the staff. 

Couple of topics ill hit on. 

First one being is is AMS MilSim? I'd say no. AMS is a business and right now in the airsoft community loosely team based games with simplistic objectives sell really well. Games that are more true to MilSim can do well, but not everywhere has that kind of crop to pull from.
The definition of MilSim isn't a really definite at all and is pretty objective.
Many people claim to be MilSim that really don't do a lot of MilSim stuff, including myself. Mostly due to the fact there aren't options available locally.
Never been to a MSW game unfortunately. I plan to in the future, but unfortunately isn't a possibility at this time.
I'd also like to attend East Wind at some point.

The second biggest thing is a lot of people think MilSim is DevGru super Ranger Osama raids. All day err day. In reality most operations are built on hours and hours, days, or even months of intel gathering before raids are conducted. Not commenting on the movies quality, but the movie Zero Dark Thirty is a good movie to watch to get an idea of what I'm saying. 90% of the movie is intelligence gathering, 9% credits, and 1% pew pew.
Most normal people say they want this but have problems when they haven't shot at anything in the last 10 minutes. A lot of people want to shoot, not operate. There is a reason why games like Call of Duty sell so much better than games like ARMA. So when you want large games or you want to make large amounts of money, you go psuedo milsim. It appeals to a larger crowd. 

The next problem is that everyone on the field has respawns and is actively aware of enemy presence. In the real world raids are usually conducted on enemies that are unaware of the appending assault and in situations that are heavily favored by us, the raiders. This is why SpecOps raids are held during the night a lot. We are one of the only few organized forces with such good night vision technology. 
So, there is nothing fair about this. However, as a product, you can't just tell one team " lol sorry, you're fucked". You also can't expect someone to pay $100 and go home the first time they're shot.

So how do you fix that? Longer respawns, make the players play out everything, immersion, land nav, 3 day packs, etc, etc, etc. But unless you get the dedicated to show up, people complain it's too boring. #1 rule of any business, can't please everyone. #2, you don't sell a product anymore, you sell an experience. Some people want different experiences.

Next thing would be leadership, which kind of falls back into part one of this rant. The player base is just barely capable of holding enough cohesion together to be manipulated by a commanding element. Even so, as the command staff, we have to worry about things like the player's fun. We've had quite a few people comment on how 'command sucked', and when we asked them why they would tell us things like "we stayed in 1 spot the whole game", "they couldn't hear us on the radio", "they were yelling/rude", or "they told us to do something stupid that got me killed"
In reality though, we needed a rear guard. 360 security is pretty MilSim imo, ha, they had cheap FRS/GMRS radios despite us recommending UHF radios beforehand, we are yelling because people don't listen, and in the real world not every grunt gets to share their opinion with the General or whatever.
A large majority of people want the game revolving around what they're doing, not what the team as a whole is doing.

I know that while on the Command Staff, the CO and I would call people up, setup video conferences, etc, etc weeks before the OP. Sometimes though we aren't given much by the event organizers, so we don't have much to tell. Most games you're given objectives during the game, etc.

I've heard a few people go to games and call it 'MilSim' even outside of AMS and I could tell from the description it wasn't MilSim..just something a bit different. Which isn't wrong obviously. People want things mixed up.

I wouldn't blame the leadership or call them bad per say. Are they the best? I doubt it. I know I'm not the best leader. Most of the time it's the best they can do though since this isn't the real military (aka, you don't have to follow their orders)
If I could pick out one thing that kills leadership the most, it's the player's egos. I can't tell you how many times I've told Person A to go do something, only for them to 'nod'/'agree' then do something else. Then they get frustrated when I tell them again, and again. I've seen people just walk off before. People want the Osama raids. They don't want to be sheep for the slaughter. Unfortunately, to win a large conflict, this happens.

I also think perspective is important to remember.
Someone here said earlier that at BHII that Tan had secured almost all the of the objectives and so on the first day. Always another side to every coin. Again, being the XO, I had a bit more of an idea of how CoST forces were doing than most others.
The first day we purposefully pulled everyone back because we had also scored all our objectives (not all objectives are shared, obviously) but also, we had captured all the respawns as well as sacked the Tan FOB (the whole FOB situation was a mistake on AMS, and I wish I could have found the CoST flag to give to the Tan guys who later did that to us but got 'god handed' by the Admins). I heard a lot of trash talk (read: Jesting) from Tan player, which is fine, they're having fun, but we were routinely asked to pull back, had been told that we were spawn camping Tan, had Tan surrounded at the Airfield, and were going to have CDF transfer over to UFS side (which we were already outnumbered mind you). Etc, Etc, Etc.

Again though, perspective. I doubt anyone really knew anything of what was going on other than "go here, shoot this" if you weren't in some sort of leadership position.

Anyway, I hope you guys won't just complain here. I hope you guys will send AMS some messages on Facebook with suggestions, wants, problems, etc. You can't expect something to grow in the direction you want without giving it feedback. If enough people complain about X then any company would likely change X.

#sorryfortherant #ifeelgaysometimesusinghashtags

/QUOTE

I know the page and read it all last night. I like criticism as we listen and try to make things better. Not sure we can satisfy some of them them based on their underlining intent.

If I recall we were blamed for Coms? Com matrix posted well in advance, we even lugged a car battery and repeater to the top of one of the roofs. My question is why did this person have a problem with coms? Was he using a good radio, Coms can be a problem in a 250,000 sq/ft concrete facility. Adapt and overcome

Guest Specs

Good points overall. I also didn't get that link to the facebook page, so whenever you get the chance send that over. I'm Brandon Lyon on FB. 

I think that AMS events have always been a masterful blend of action and squad discipline. If your squad has problems with objectives or lack thereof from command then tough. That's just how battle works. Someone has to handle the grunt work, and I personally take pride in anything I can do for the greater good of my team. If you are an upper tier team, and you are given a low ladder goal or objective, don't bitch about it, get it done faster and get onto the next thing.

As for comms issues, that's a realistic element as well. Squads need to be ready to assume any difficulties in communicating with their team IMHO. That just adds more emphasis on squads working closer together and linking up more often.

If you want your squad to have some incredible earth shaking experience with movie theatrics, sign up for a DAM.

This conversation was not on the Milsim Focus Group I talked about in another thread, but I went ahead and added you to that one anyway Specs.

The group this was posted on is private and I do not have the ability to invite. Sorry.

If I recall we were blamed for Coms? Com matrix posted well in advance, we even lugged a car battery and repeater to the top of one of the roofs. My question is why did this person have a problem with coms? Was he using a good radio, Coms can be a problem in a 250,000 sq/ft concrete facility. Adapt and overcome

Most of the comms issues I saw were with the 'baeofang' or whatever radios.  Nothing to do with AMS staff.  I had fairly good comms with Greg in the belly of the main building (bld 4).  I was actually impressed with how well that radios were receiving inside; I figured there would be large dead zones.

Can we get a link or some sort of background so we can qualify the opinions of the poster?  Otherwise, who cares?

I was not at FG2, but I was at FG1.  If these teams and player cant read the AAR's from the previous year and gather all the intell they can about the AO from past player and issue's, then any issue's that falls apon them is at their own fault. We had two guys at FG2, I set with one of them and went over as many things as I could remember about every little detail that myself and one other encounter at FG1.

If these guys broght push-2-talk radio's, (POINTING AND LAUGHING) , then way to go dumb asses. Last year Com's where a issue. We all knew it was going to be.     Pissit, Pissit hey you, Im going to tell you something.  ITS A NUCLEAR FACILITY!!!!!!

And some how its AMS's fault that they came unprepared. Im no better of a player than the next guy, truth is I spend my time running back to respawn so I can run my ass back to the fight just to do it all over. But WE COME REALLY FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS!!!!

The main problem is that "milsim" is mostly just a hip word that people use to think that they are something they are not.  There is a mentality of "I bought a JPC, i wear an Ops-Core, and i look exactly like whatever special forces group I am trying to mimic looks like, so i must be a badass".  However that mentality is also followed with "hold my hand and walk me through this and that, tell me what to do, as long as its cool, and fun, and there are multiple photo-ops', and let me carry 6k rounds on me and re-load whenever i feel the need", as well as "im tired and when is lunch".  

Mayo is absolutely correct that the vast majority of people could not handle the strain (both mental and physical) of what true "milsim" would entail.  

As far as leadership goes, 99% of the time I wholeheartedly feel that leadership (and admins, sponsors, etc) receive the butt of blame when those people that are not prepared feel that their own ill-preparedness (which is OBVIOUSLY NOT there own fault!), to blame someone other than themselves.

AMS does what they do very well.  They are not perfect, but then again, nothing is.  I enjoy going to their OPs, they have incredible locations that many people would not have access too.  There is no way that many of these locations would be accessible if it wasn't for the middle of the road mindset they have, when it comes to airsoft vs milsim.  The pool gets shallow when you go to extremes, either speed-ball type airsoft, or very real military simulation.

The group I am a part of, Texas Milsim Association (shameless plug!), is going to push the "milsim" envelope (as much as is feasible), with overnight and non-stop OPs this next year.  We understand that it will not appeal to everyone, so we understand that our numbers might be a little lower than the same style OP we did last year.  It all simply depends on the group you are trying to pull in and the goals you are trying to achieve.

I'm not "milsim," but to be honest, I don't care. I play airsoft because I enjoy it and the people (for the most part lol). I like the objectives, the more "military"-esque type of play over your typical "spray and pray" time of game. If you want super-hardcore stuff, fine. I'm sure there's others who are just as crazy as you, lol. Or go do more reenacting type events.

If you're not having fun and all you do is complain, find another hobby. You're ruining it for everyone else, lol. 

Right.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, they can stuff it. If they want to hide behind a private facebook group, let them. :) All we can do is try to get better, help each other grow and continue to build the community.

I like to picture my Milsim as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and He does interpretive ice dances of past ops I attended.

I like to picture Milsim in a tuxedo Banshee plate carrier because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

I like to think of Milsim like I have giant eagles wings, iPhone blazing' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front lines and slaying freaking bodies!

I like to picture my Milsim as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and He does interpretive ice dances of past ops I attended.

I like to picture Milsim in a tuxedo Banshee plate carrier because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

I like to think of Milsim like I have giant eagles wings, iPhone blazing' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front lines and slaying freaking bodies!

Meme_well_that_escalated_quickly_Are_You

Lets be honest here, we all partake in these events to get some heart pumping adrenaline going.  If people complain then they may be sore losers, these events are meant to give an experience, and some take it wayyyyy too seriously, I think it will be neat to just go to an OP make some new friends and take some pictures with some captured terrorists.  All this blame crap if for the birds, AMS staff seems very nice, and very knowledgeable.

Lets be honest here, we all partake in these events to get some heart pumping adrenaline going.  If people complain then they may be sore losers, these events are meant to give an experience, and some take it wayyyyy too seriously, I think it will be neat to just go to an OP make some new friends and take some pictures with some captured terrorists.  All this blame crap if for the birds, AMS staff seems very nice, and very knowledgeable.

Well, I'd agreed on nice. ;) haha

Joking JP. Joking.