American MilSim
Joe

Ok, so what happened?

I was in Cost. I heard all sorts of rumors: CDF & mass graves, truces, double-crosses and the like.

Can we grunts get a detailed breakdown of what happened, in-game? Sort of like a history book would tell it, maybe?

I had a great time, BTW. This sort of relating would just enhance my understanding and enjoyment of the game.

AMS, you rock!

This would be pretty awesome...from my perspective we searched a few buildings and held people at bay. And now I'm hearing talk about suitcase nukes.

Had a great time but would love a break down of what happened.

I got to see some sort of suit case bomb it was wicked looking wish my gopro took good photos of it it was very detailed and was actually intimidating to look at. If you didn't know exactly what to do I wouldn't touch t it looked like it go off if anything went of place. I'm wantin to say Hack built it based on the design and the amount of detail but I could be wrong.

As for what I saw there were alot of dmrs and snipers battling it out everywhere trying to get the wind just right to take those crazy long shots. I was leavin to go back to spawn and actually saw I guy hanging upside down taking shots through a hole through the rubble it was awesome. At one point myself and my fellow DMRs had 404 zeroed when the wind changed from all floors in the hotel and it forced the the team were we're firing at to throw probably 7 or 8 smokes just to push enough smoke to get away from the non stop assault the snuck by and took over 404 so then we started to play peek a boo trying to hit each other through those darn holes. Only to find out half he team was actually flanking those building and popped out in an alley way to hit out ground level guys. it surprised us all of it wasn't for the roof spotting them we could have been over ran quickly.

Saturday we fought hard I did alot of recon work tryin to stay hidden and report but that didn't end so well. Tan were sneaky I think a building was clear and walk into a group and have to pull out my trusty goblin or hide until they moved on so I could move in. Sometimes that didn't work so well, and would be shouting on the radio for over watch to hit a building with everything they had.

Sunday we hauled butt to secure buildings while our troops fanned out to snatch ground and then all we could do was keep everyone away from us it got pretty confusing at one point since comm was up and down. And bad intel or late intel was being fed to us. By we did good. Te game was called to restart so we all end back to strip gear and reload. as soon as we were told to go we went straight back to secure over watch and ended up hearing guys on the roof. We saw an admin and cameras so assumed it was fine as soon as my point man broke into the open he took shots I handed off my DMR and pulled a frag I couldn't tell we're the firing was from so I started to toss right and as soon and I was in the open enough I tossed the grenade and sure enough I took 2 shots center mass I couldn't see who it was but I heard the frag go off and saw the evil cloud of bbs. as I headed down stairs the rest of the unit stormed the roof. and made sure there was no one left. After respawn I went back to meet up my unit up there apperently that frag was a doozie. So I went and collected it I'm keeping that shell on my Airsoft wall for ever after that I was told to hold at all costs and that was when myself and CDF had our own wa going on throwin smokes and thunderBs and furring roof op to roof top. Then the school house started firing on us that's when we stuff got confusing crazy rockets flying at me and everything else I went through so much ammo I was so glad I bled out from that shot to the noggin I got to finally reload. I came back in right at the end and help set up the sat and hold the roof until game call.

Video of the mission to get the nuke and extract the HVT are currently processing and will be up on youtube within the next hour and half. It was pretty cray cray, lol.

OH, now you've got the hubby (Spartan) all excited. He didn't know anyone got that on video. :D

OH, now you've got the hubby (Spartan) all excited. He didn't know anyone got that on video. :D

But of course with every good thing, I must run into issues with tech. So it's gonna be a while, hopefully it'll be up by morning.

Video of the mission to get the nuke and extract the HVT are currently processing and will be up on youtube within the next hour and half. It was pretty cray cray, lol.

You were running a camera during that? Cool.

And at least your camera was working. Mine crapped out before we left the house.

Joe - Good to meet you and next time I'm back in the Branson area, I'll give you a shout and check out some fields up your way. I am working on my AAR from the perspective of UFS XO that will shed some light on those areas.

Long story short?: Events need to be UFS vs CoST.

CDF, if present at all, should be a roleplaying element, not a player element.

In game explaination?: CoST and UFS intelligence gathered information supporting current CDF forces in the town committing genocide of the local people, filling mass graves off site; thus sparking an alliance between CoST and UFS forces.

Long story short?: Events need to be UFS vs CoST.

CDF, if present at all, should be a roleplaying element, not a player element.

In game explaination?: CoST and UFS intelligence gathered information supporting current CDF forces in the town committing genocide of the local people, filling mass graves off site; thus sparking an alliance between CoST and UFS forces.

I agree with this 100%. A civilian militia is great to add in for the chaotic element, however, we have seen the CDF evolve into(at some times) the best organized, best trained and best equipped force on the field(see posts from BHII). Any civilians who gather to protect their homes will be doing so without the training resources of a proper military and/or without the firepower and resources that a larger force would have. I keep seeing the so called high speed teams( but definitely high profile) recruited for CDF and it makes no sense to me.

Hell, if you want more realism from the CDF, give them an experienced commander but almost everyone else is relatively new to airsoft. Cut their comms down to one radio per platoon. Make them all wear civilian clothes, very minimal load out. Give them only two magazines and two bottles of bb's for their entire force. Make some of them have to use spring pistols for a while. They would then have to deal with the forces for more ammo, mags, comms and experienced players. This would be more like simulating the creation of a police force but, just as in the real world, the civilians would depend on their diplomacy with one or more factions rather than what I saw this weekend. I know that there is no way you can get people to play for the scenario I described above but, hopefully, that proves the point I'm attempting to make even more.

An organized non military group with the financial resources to not only equip its personnel with top tier weaponry but also train it's forces to be elite, all the while doing so with no aid from outside sources, is not a militia. It's not a civilian defense force. It's a Cartel.

I agree and disagree. What we have with the CoST vs UFS is a civil war within the former United States. Militias in third world countries for the most part are poorly equipped and poorly trained. Let's Look at the "real world", right now in the United States we have Militia units that total an estimated 1.5 million strong (according to FBI statistics). These units are made up of former US military personnel (many with combat experience) and civilians. These units meet at least 1 to 2 times a month to train. Many of them train hard and are very professional. They take their role as the last line of defense against a tyrannical government very seriously.The FBI believes the majority of them are equipped with better weapons (albeit not many full auto capable weapons but capable of penetrating level IIIA armor) and personal armor than the US Military. While they do lack armor and support elements they do have access to explosives used in construction, heavy construction equipment and have been stockpiling ammunition for years. Look at the fragmented groups in Syria and in Libya and how well the did/are doing against a better equipped foe.

All that being said in the CoST vs UFS scenario I am sure that many of these militia units would have joined CoST forces against the federal government (UFS) many would form a corps of defense for their local communities. Being this is the United States I highly doubt any CDF/Militia types would be indiscriminately killing other civilians especially near a city they supposedly live in and are defending from military encursion or gathering WMD's. The "conflict" has been raging for over a year and any civilians forces would be scavenging battle fields for salvageable heavy weapons and equipment. The point I do agree on is that the role these forces play should be limited. Once the scenarios get to "movie/drama/mystery/out of bounds from reality' oriented I lose interest as do many other players.

Guest Specs

It's a tough issue. I can't agree completely, having played CDF through the event. I know some guys got on the edge with the whole switching sides issue. I can understand that. But seeing as it was CDF that was turned on by both UFS and CoST in ceasefire agreements, I think that's a bit biased. 

On another note, even with such a well equipped force for CDF our numbers simply weren't up to par to put up a defense against either CoST or UFS forces. It took nearly half of us just to hold apartments as our Alamo on Sunday, leaving fewer boots on the ground for missions and other point capturing opportunities. And on Saturday, despite our valiant efforts to hold the city, it was nearly impossible at times to fight our way back into the city and keep any presence without the assistance of one side.

So my summary of the CDF concept:

1. CDF is at a disadvantage, even with some great guys enlisted.

2. CoST vs. UFS only wouldn't be a terrible idea.

3. Limiting the CDF forces would be a ridiculous waste of money for any player. It'd need to either be a discounted ticket price for the event, or a role left strictly to AMS staff. You simply couldn't get back into the AO or put up a proper defense with such simple supplies.

4. While people hate the team switching issue, it's one of the only abilities at CDF's disposal to assist them in being a semi-competing force. 

All the same, I'm glad to have played alongside my valiant CDF brothers and sisters, and even more glad to have snagged a CDF patch before they possibly get cut. Great event, great weekend, great people.

Right, cause most Oklahoman civilians I know have minimal load outs...  :blink:  

Let's say for arguments sake, we did do the next to no gear... After we shot a UFS or CoST person, would we get to raid their kit for more arms and ammunition and gear we would need?? Doubtful. We were outnumbered significantly and didn't stay in the buildings... So... Yeah. And who wants to sign up to not be able to really play?
I guess I'm maybe a little confused as to why so many people are pouting about CDF being able to hold their own as a 3rd element (and that's after reading the posts).

Yes CDF forces were perhaps a bit big, but I do have to say they didn't just building camp like one faction did. They were constantly trying to reclaim buildings. Playing for Ufs for the first time this op I did feel we were fighting up hill both days. And I enjoyed almost every second. The biggest annoyance was the abuse of the cease fire call. When I hear cease fire I stop what I'm doing repeat the call over the coms and make my aeg safe. On more than one case cease fire was called in error by players confused about alliances and what not. CoSt raiding our FOB after we were told FOB's were safe was kind of bs, but CoSt needed something to make their self feel better.

Yes CDF forces were perhaps a bit big, but I do have to say they didn't just building camp like one faction did. They were constantly trying to reclaim buildings. Playing for Ufs for the first time this op I did feel we were fighting up hill both days. And I enjoyed almost every second. The biggest annoyance was the abuse of the cease fire call. When I hear cease fire I stop what I'm doing repeat the call over the coms and make my aeg safe. On more than one case cease fire was called in error by players confused about alliances and what not. CoSt raiding our FOB after we were told FOB's were safe was kind of bs, but CoSt needed something to make their self feel better.

About the cease fire/blind man. I think I know what you're talking about... The people who were supposed to be saying "CHECK FIRE" instead right?  I think most people do exactly what you did (and thank goodness that's the natural reaction) mags out, safety on. It sucks but I guess better safe than sorry. Maybe they can just make sure that's gone over again at the briefings, I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

I think there were only 2 true cease fire/blind man (of course I'm not counting the end of the evolutions).

One was for one of my team mates who tripped over some metal rods and fittings on the ground and cracked his face on it and knocked off his eye pro. (He's okay btw)

The other was for the fire over near the railroad tracks (I think?)

Guest Specs

Right, cause most Oklahoman civilians I know have minimal load outs...  :blink:  

Let's say for arguments sake, we did do the next to no gear... After we shot a UFS or CoST person, would we get to raid their kit for more arms and ammunition and gear we would need?? Doubtful. We were outnumbered significantly and didn't stay in the buildings... So... Yeah. And who wants to sign up to not be able to really play?

I guess I'm maybe a little confused as to why so many people are pouting about CDF being able to hold their own as a 3rd element (and that's after reading the posts).

^This.

If anything, UFS and CoST should have been relieved at having CDF forces in a no-fire agreement for a short time. CDF had to be on guard from both sides pretty much all weekend. And any no-fire agreement was simply CDF trying to get the smallest foothold in the city so we could compete even a little.

Yeah, I was close to the fire. And right around the corner from your team mate tripping and 100% agree with those calls. Although we all know we could have used a little more heat so we should have let the fire roll. Lol. I saw someone call cease fire to retrieve dropped equipment. And yes it was used in place of check fire. Maybe changing the ceasefire call completely would be more effective. Use a term that might not be so loosely used. Because I will not lie and say I have never called cease fire when realizing I was in a fire fight with friendly's at smaller skirmishes.

Guest Specs

I think it's also important to mention that the respawn reset on Sunday wasn't at fault on CDF's side. We first started moving because we saw UFS forces moving toward the city. After seeing UFS stop, many CDF called to their allies to stop, but upon seeing CoST in a full on sprint into the city without any stopping, CDF had no choice but to move on into the city.

Yeah, a platoon leader asked his guys to step away from the rest of ufs so he could discuss what he wanted to accomplish. I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. As a whole we didn't move till the admin called game on, but could already see green in the city. It is what it is. Wouldn't be nearly as fun if everything was handed to us.

Yeah, a platoon leader asked his guys to step away from the rest of ufs so he could discuss what he wanted to accomplish. I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. As a whole we didn't move till the admin called game on, but could already see green in the city. It is what it is. Wouldn't be nearly as fun if everything was handed to us.

^ THIS.

Fight for it.

Folks, no one is bashing CDF for what they were able to accomplish. You guys did extremely well all things considered. The idea is that future games should use CDF less as a militant force, and more as a small civilian element used for intel and small sabotage purposes (by both sides). The point myself and Wisco were making is that real world, faced with the situation presented at ORY and others, most civilian forces would back away into the shadows until the "juggernauts" duked it out. At that point they would move back in, instead of trying to fight both. Keep in mind this is just a suggestion, not a demand. In the past, CDF elements have drawn a lot of hate that they may or may not have deserved, and no one wants to pay this kind of money only to walk away hated by everyone else... and no "win" to show for it.