AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
runman

Creation of a Youth squad in Platoons

At the age  of 14 I feel even if I match tactical skill and knowledge with my fellow player I still will not be treated as an equal. In many games I have attended I can see the look of disappointment on the faces of my teammates when a sub 18 player. That is why, to improve the kids and the adults time I am proposing that there should be a kid squad in platoons. They would not be in the same squad as the adults but still would be equally treated. I still have not gone to an event yet so I am looking as an observer. If I save up enough money (yes I pay for everything myself) and receive a record of recommendation i should be able to finish my build by Christmas.

With regards to improving the game play experience for younger players I can think of few worse ideas.  

There is a reason many of us get that look on our faces.  As a rule, younger players require more guidance, mentorship, and patient leadership to keep on track.  Left to their own devices, they can become a real burden on other players.   Concentrate that into a single group and all you have managed to do is magnify the potential problem and put a big target on your back.   Onsey, twosey, younger players can stand out as good players and shine.    Put into a pack with a batch of slobbering idiots everyone gets that "stupid kids" label attached regardless of how well they individually do.  

Keep in mind that 90% of airsoft is already aimed at the younger crowd.  Many of the guys who are traveling great distances and paying bigger game fees to go to a big milsim style event are doing so expressly so that they can get a better experience that they usually get at their normal open play event back home.   Nobody wants to drive 12 hours, spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars only to find themselves fighting against a squad of 15 year old kids in ghillie suits not calling their hits.  Kept dispersed, younger players get the guidance and examples they need to get better.  In packs without guidance, bad behavior does not get corrected and failures perpetuate.  

When the trend in general is to not allow anyone under 18 to attend "serious" events then you need o recognize that there is a reason people draw these lines and work on correcting the issues that younger players cause rather than lobbying for improving the experience younger player receive.  

Keep in mind that 90% of airsoft is already aimed at the younger crowd.  Many of the guys who are traveling great distances and paying bigger game fees to go to a big milsim style event are doing so expressly so that they can get a better experience that they usually get at their normal open play event back home.   Nobody wants to drive 12 hours, spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars only to find themselves fighting against a squad of 15 year old kids in ghillie suits not calling their hits.  Kept dispersed, younger players get the guidance and examples they need to get better.  In packs without guidance, bad behavior does not get corrected and failures perpetuate.  

Or come up a staircase and have to physically move kids out of the way because they are bottlenecked at the top of the stairs by one baddie.

Aswayze hit the big points.  My biggest complaints against young players are attitude, situational awareness, and skill.  Young players tend to be ok, but once they hit the 16-18 age they turn into cocky assholes and want to reenact COD or whatever.  Situational awareness comes with training and there are many players who don't have this attribute due to lack of experience or training.  That comes with time and is forgivable.  Skill ties with situational awareness, but is harder to develop due to the general masses not being particularly adept at military tactics.  Again, this comes with experience and training and can be learned.

That being said, an entire squad of youth would be a poor idea.  Inexperienced players need mentors and experienced players to keep them moving in the right direction, and having a squad of 14-18 year olds sounds like the blind leading the blind.  The only reliable way I've found to implement younger groups is to either send them off on their own to 'scout' or have them hold key terrain.

I've played with enough youth to know that some are OK and many are just there for the thrill of dressing up and shooting at people. without particular regard given to the players around them.  This is pretty constant despite the age, so don't take that the wrong way.  

Seek to improve and learn from y/our mistakes.  People will recognize you for your talents quickly.

Copy that, you guys have a lot more experience with these events and I'm sorry about the poorer player holding you back from having a good time. And thank you for your opinion. Now looking back on it I agree with you, younger crowds are better dispersed. Also do you guys think that kids sub 16 should also have to take a test making sure they have the proper skills to compete in an event like this

No, because my version of "proper skills" may differ vastly from another's.  Young crowds should stick to smaller skirmishes and family day events until they have enough background in the sport to offer a competitive advantage vs a babysitting requirement.  IIRC younger players need an adult with them, or at least someone to vouch for them to play in AMS games anyways.  This helps ensure that any who shows up to a large op (like RY) can be expected to have good sportsmanship, the basic mechanics of airsoft, and understand basic tactics.  Again, not all adult players can claim that either, so take that with a grain of salt.

Sign in to follow this