AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Grim Reaper

Is it common to lose things at Ops?

I was debating over including my Benchmade knife and Gerber Diesel in my setup / loadout. It is not that fact that they're somewhat expensive, but rather that they are so wonderful I wouldn't want to lose them. Do you thing that they could be easily dropped or lost when in sheathes while in an Operation or even a general game? I may just bring my Gerber Gator instead of anything high end like Benchmade. What is your take?

I see people lose lots of things at every OP; patience, humility, understanding, their cool, etc.

Preparing yourself for an operation is important. Knowing how you're going to quickly store spent magazines is just as important as where they go on your PC. Making sure your equipment is nice, tight, and snug is important.

Small things can go a long way. Having an elastic band magazine catch on the bottom of your pistol has saved plenty of people I know's 1911 mags.

Attaching my GoPro to my helmet via velcro and cord has kept it from going lost before.
Preparing so that I know where to put my helmet on my gear if need be (heat, etc) before I hit the field can save me from dealing with it later on the field.

Making sure the bandings on my radio pouch are tight and snug could save me a radio during the day.

Doing some cable management can save my headset/PTT/radio from damages.

etc etc etc, blah blah blah, you have a wookie dancing

^basically this.

I used to bring a Boker knife that i bought on my honeymoon (you read that right...bought it right in front of my wife) with me to OPs but I like the knife so much that I REALLY didn't want to loose it. I haven't come across anything on the field yet that a blade on a multi tool can't handle easily. I have one of the original Gerber multi tools ( the ones with snub nose pliers and no locking mechanism for the other tools) that my dad gave me when I was very young. Naturally this tool has some sentimental value for me but I carry it anyway. I don't lend it to ANYONE unless they're a pretty darn good friend of mine. I used to carry it in a HSGI pistol taco pouch but after loosing a mag to my old KWA 226, I reconsidered how I carried those small items. I now use a Tactical Tailor double pistol mag pouch with strong earth magnets in it for my mags and multi tool. Even if the pouch top is opened, there is no way for my multi tool to come out unless I want to. The pouches are plenty big enough to house H&K MK23 mags (double stack 45acp) so they can also house a decent sized multi tool.

The last I knew knives were looked down on for carrying in the field but it seems to be ok to carry multi tools. But..... I agree with what has been said above, you must make sure everything is tied down and secured and when you think it is secure check it again. I think that everyone out there has lost something at a big OP lol.

Items lost. OKI6 = Lost about 6 Rockets that I put "Blackout Militia" on... seems some asshats thought I was signing an autograph for them. They were JC F69's so during that year they were considered a new cool thing.

Lost cores to Thunder B's because well people steal. Lost 1 Pistol due to not having exp in the field enough to know the crappy holster Velcro wasn't going to hold. Invested in a nice serpa locking holster , never lost another.

I break more things than I have lost. Lock it down if you don't wanna lose it, always stow what your not willing to lose and anything of value leave in the car locked. Anything you don't want or cant afford to lose, don't take in the field. and leave your cellphones in the car or don't bring em... whoever is trying to get a hold of you, shouldn't , your in the field Let me play airsoft and leave me be! lol.

I've had plenty of Thunder B cores just get up and walk away right after they dispose a room of 5 to 6 people. It's weird, but happens more frequently than you would like. If you throw one, make sure to breach into the room right after so you can protect your investment.

Guest Specs

Gotta agree with a lot of the guys above.  Shock cord and other methods of tethering will be your friend. If you carry a sidearm definitely look into a retention cable. In the heat of things you'll be bumping into a lot of walls, corners, people, etc. and in the heat of things, you tend to miss hearing some things. 

On another note, carrying knives can be looked down upon a bit, simply from a personal aggression standpoint. To me personally, anything short of real steal training means a guy would rather jump to a blade or has that (just in case) mentality, than talk any issues or arguments out. If you plan on bringing it, I'd stow it away in fully closed/ secured pockets and use it only when necessary. Otherwise, multitools are the way to go. Besides, when things break down, it's always nice to have a simple set of tools handy.

Guest Specs

I've had plenty of Thunder B cores just get up and walk away right after they dispose a room of 5 to 6 people. It's weird, but happens more frequently than you would like. If you throw one, make sure to breach into the room right after so you can protect your investment.

Marking the hell out of them so you have proof it's your's would probably be a good idea too. Easier to catch someone in a lie that way.

Personal retention is just that: Personal.  You must decide how much time and effort and money you are willing to invest in not losing your gear.  Maybe your 150 dollar pistol isn't worth that much to you and you don't care if it drops out of your 10$ holster.  Maybe you spend 200 dollars to secure it in your "Super High Speed Tactical Level 9 Holster of Awesomeness +1 Dexterity". 

I feel pretty secure in my rig and have never lost anything but mags, and I consider those consumable anyway.  Sharpie or carve your name onto everything you own just for good measure.  NEVER CARRY CAR KEYS IN THE FIELD.  you don't want to be "that guy" who drove 6 states away and can't drive home now.

/$.02

AMS literally has BINS full of unclaimed lost and found items, it's ridiculous how much gear gets not only LOST but unclaimed as well.

I am with Jazz, screw everything else, DON'T LOSE THE CAR KEYS.  

I mostly solve this problem by taking vehicles that do not use keys but that's not usually a practical solution.  

I will further add to this that when you shoot a rocket or throw a grenade, YOU are the one who is responsible for finding it.   If you throw a grenade into the room I am in and it kills me, I am leaving to go respawn, I did not throw it and I do not give a damn where it is so don't bother whining at me when you cannot find your toy.   :) 

DO write your name on things!  

We find all sorts of stuff long after the event has passed and can get it back to you if you wrote your name on it, when we dig a Puxing radio out of the dirt that's obviously been there a while and it has no name on it we're pretty much stuck with it.  

Guest Specs

AMS literally has BINS full of unclaimed lost and found items, it's ridiculous how much gear gets not only LOST but unclaimed as well.

Hey JP, what's a guy gotta do to get into those bins? Eh? (;

Wonder if anyone found my rocket launcher, Totally left it on a car after ESR19. lol. Odds are, its still sitting in partsworld.

Also lost some rockets, and a training knife.

Nothing to horrible dollar wise, Rockets, I can expect to lose one or two per op, ( I did return a few of them to the bin after esr )

Thanks everyone, I didn't expect to get this many responses. Also, why are knives frowned upon at Ops? Do they think you'll go all Rambo on them cause you've got a knife? lol. If I were to bring a knife, it'd be for cutting basically. I'd probably be fine with my multi-tool since it has so many things on it.

Dunno about the knife thing, I suspect anyone who frowns on knives will keel over with fright at the sight of the shovel on my pioneer kit rack...  

Knives are a tool.  

Firearms are a tool.  

We are using a simulation system that looks like and is operated in the same manner as a firearm so obviously it's a REALLY bad idea to mix in the real thing but knives are not really used in the same manner so I suspect it's a moot point unless you are just the whiny victim type looking for something to be oppressed by.  

Thanks everyone, I didn't expect to get this many responses. Also, why are knives frowned upon at Ops? Do they think you'll go all Rambo on them cause you've got a knife? lol. If I were to bring a knife, it'd be for cutting basically. I'd probably be fine with my multi-tool since it has so many things on it.

Fixed blades are not allowed, folding knives are. Just as Swayze said, they are a tool and my SOG has saved my ass several times helping me repair gear, cut zip-ties, pry open containers, etc...

Really don't understand why the no fixed blades, if you are allowing blades, a blade is a blade. Multitools for the win!

In my own opinion, a fixed blade your looking 6-10 inches?!? When would you need that in a milsim senario? Folding blade you fit in your pocket comfortably so your looking two inches the same as having a multi tool, plus you have pliers and screw drivers! I would think its obvious! This isn't prepers!

I was debating over including my Benchmade knife and Gerber Diesel in my setup / loadout. It is not that fact that they're somewhat expensive, but rather that they are so wonderful I wouldn't want to lose them. Do you thing that they could be easily dropped or lost when in sheathes while in an Operation or even a general game? I may just bring my Gerber Gator instead of anything high end like Benchmade. What is your take?

I once lost a whole pistol and holster and have yet to hear anything about anyone finding it, though I'm sure someone did.

On the subject of knives, I keep them in my pocket. Seriously. Unless you wear your pants really baggy, you're going to have one hell of a time getting something to just fly out of your hip pocket.

The ONLY time I have ever used my fixed blade in a game, was cutting branches for makeshift cover/Shade