American MilSim
Guest Specs

Opinions on Squad/ Sniper operation procedure

Guest Specs

Hey all! As some of you know, OP RY2 will be my first official Milsim event. Much excitement. But it will also be my first time working in close succession with a dedicated squad, and in an urban environment

My question for you all today is perhaps a little blurred around the edges, so I'll parse it out for you to make it easier to digest and respond to.

1. When menuvering your squad through close quarters areas where do you place your sniper/ recon members in the lineup? Do they run rear security, mid, or even up front?

2. Do you keep your sniper/ recon members at a distance to provide covering fire/ communication, or do you keep them with the main group to assist in building to building movement and to have their spotting capabilities readily available to the group?

3. For snipers/ recon members out there, how do you best maneuver in close quarters areas with longer rifles in-tow? Do you have a strong favor for certain retention systems, IE chest mounted, back mounted, or simply slung over the shoulder traditionally?

4. And finally, are there particular members of the squad (role-wise: medic, support gunner, other snipers) you like to use in tandem with your sniper/ recon? 

Thank you all for your time. As always, I have much to learn from you all and look forward to any advice you have to offer,

Specs

Sniper/Recon of Coal Creek Command

When I ran DMR last year, it was a Big mix of all of those.....I preferred to sit toward the rear just for the recon purposes.

You can wreck some havoc on the rooftops though with all the "bombed-out" tops where its easy to shoot up on to

From What I Saw, there wasnt Too many actual sniper perches easily accessable, but there are some. It was nice & fun to run counter-sniper/spotter with a dedicated sniper last year

You want/need a spotter with you, lemme know lol

as far as placement in your squad, totally up to your sqdl, however its better if your near the rear. Urban Snipers are concelled by not brandishing there weapon, so have it packed away if possible.

when you do find a spot, make sure you have a commanding spot on the battle field, and able to see your 360 perimeter as well as have good communitcation with your RTO or Squad. this is vital since most snipers/guardian angels are used as recon and route clearance confirm. the ablity to successfully put down a hostile target at range can easily stop a platoon sized element if your cover and concelment are top notch and if give your squad the upper hand in manuver to a. either lay and ambush or b. counter manuvers and bottle neck and take the targets out. 

supplies that you would need for a successful lp/op would be  your map, comms, ammo, spotter, water and everything your need to be self suffiecent. if you really want to dig in its best to have a option b and option c to fall back on to keep your enemy guessing where you are. also boobie trap the ave of approch to your postion it will greatly increase your chances of survival. 

i would have at least a battle buddy with you in airsoft just to watch your back.

as far as your weapon goes, id have it snapped to a 3 day pack with all your neccacary gear. 

being a sniper in airsoft is a very dedicated role and not to be taken lightly, be prepared to know your comms and manner and go a few hours with out even pulling the trigger.

that in mind, you have comms so use them if your spotted ;)

Guest Specs

Thanks for the advice guys! Looking forward to planting my feet in an AO with some concrete for once. And honestly, I'm foaming at the mouth to set up overwatch on one of those rooftops.

Real world and Airsoft are a bit different. What will most likely end up happening if you'll be running the same role as the normal infantry guys if you run DMR. Unless you go off by yourself of course I guess.

I'll answer each question as honestly as possible, so please don't take it the wrong way if it sounds harsh/blunt/or something else I have no clue on.

1. No one will pay any extra attention to you most likely. You'll likely end up just being another 'rifleman' in the squad rather than a real world DMR counterpart. There may be a few situations where your SQL may ask you to be in a certain place, but most likely not. The AO at RY2 will be relatively small. This mixed in with that 50fps doesn't effect range and accuracy as much as a good barrel and hop-up, I don't think you'll be as much of a key element as you may hope. Especially when you take into account that SAWs can shoot the same FPS but can also fire full auto as well as carry 1000-3000 rounds in a single magazine. If I could make a change to the rules I'd set SAWs at 400fps (bigger ammo capacity is a bonus in itself), put DMRs at 500fps, and then bolt action snipers in the 600-700fps range and say anyone operating a special weapon has to attend a special class that will give them a bracelet they will need before they are allowed to chrono any gun. (hint hint hint, nudge nudge nudge AMS ;) )

2. See #1

3. I'd say that a normal sling will work fine as DMRs aren't too much different than regular rifles on here. I would just run it like a normal rifle with a sling attached to your vest/plate carrier that allows you to drop it and draw you pistol and still move with reasonable ease. Alternatively get a sling that isn't attached to your vest and move the rifle to your back when you aren't using it.

4. Medics go well with anyone. But not really. Unfortunately due to rulesets and so on you aren't much different from everyone else. A quality built gun will shoot just as far and well as any other quality built gun. With most people shooting ~400, the 50FPS is ...meh. BB gets there a bit faster maybe?

Anyway, despite what I've said, come out and have a great time! You'll love Camp Gruber (and hopefully CoST)

All of this advice is very OP specific, so I'll talk directly to OP:RY2.  

At this game, I would personally prefer the players attempting to play the Sniper/Recon roles aggressively.  What I mean here is a mixture of not focusing so much on certain tactics, and heavily relying more on others.  I'll answer your questions directly first, Specs.  Then add my followup advice.

1. You belong up front.  Recon elements do not belong "all back of the bus"
  2. You are to forever be solo.  I do not prefer assistance from battle buddies in the field while I operate.  I prefer to be at distance, without valuable resources danger close should I be discovered.  I understand this conflicts with a lot of advice out there... but it is my preference as an accomplished Recon unit.
  3. Most engagements, I do not prefer long rifles.  See Mayo's advice.  However, honestly... Brandishing your weapon is more about technique, rather than equipment.  This gives me an idea to post a video about my favorite way to sling my rifle over my back.
  4. No.

I'd prefer the sniper/recon dudes to follow more of a commando mentality at OP:RY.  Your job is not necessarily overwatch, or squad coverage.  There is too much cover really due to the buildings.  Let the squad do their thing.  OP:RY is a high engagement operation.  Do not worry much about reporting enemy movements.

Your job is the reconnaissance of enemy weak points, HVTs, and Objective Theft/Sabotage.

Accept in your heart you will fail 95% of the time in all of your self appointed objectives.

Focus the bulk of your attention on recon enemy weak points.  You should always be solo, and consistently testing the enemy's weak points.  If you die..... its no big deal.  This is airsoft.  Small AO.  Walk to respawn and regen...10 minutes later your testing them again.  Your just 1 guy.  They did not accomplish anything serious by killing 1 dude.

Be stubborn... test the same suspected weak point multiple times.

It only takes 1 time for the enemy to screw up, and let 1 guy take over a whole building.  Hold out for 10 minutes, your team will eventually feel brave enough to approach your position.  If your successful at OP:RY...  you will of just given your team 1 building, or rather 10% of the AO.

Chances are... during your course of combat, you will stumble across HVTs.  Report those.  Secure them if possible.

Try to acquire EOD designation.  Chances are you will be the first to stumble across cool stuff that needs to get role played.

Most importantly...  BE A HERO.  Sure you may die a million times at the game.  But nobody remembers the times you fail.  They only remember that time you did something so bad ass....  they cheered for you.

...then go see if your now the poster child for any airsoft manufacturers.  They love recon dudes.

JP, funny you mention firing in self defense or HVT's.

There has been a big movement in airsoft trends over the past 2-3 years surrounding HiCap magazines.

Here is another tip I wont gain much praise for....  Should an event allow you to carry HiCap magazines... DO IT!!

As a recon element I prefer to travel light, and form fitting.  The AMS ruleset has changed a bit in the recent past few ops, but if they allow it...  carry them.  1500 rounds in 4 magazines versus 8-16 is always better.  Smaller target.. less opportunity for detection.

Worried about BB rattle?  Then why in the world are you doing so much shooting?????

While on recon, I've always said that if I'm seen shooting, something went horribly wrong.

keeping all this advice in mind. Remember this is airsoft, on real MOUT facility, in which the building designs allow for kill holes, and great cover and concelment. use those to your advantage in your role. or any role for that matter. Agressive tactics in this AO can go either way, if your too agressive you will find your self quickly surrounded and out gunned. Move to slow and the enemy will see you coming. DMR and SSW will be devestaing on top of your buildings this will  give eyou a domminat view and tactical and aggressive advatange.

sling plastic and hold out at all costs if you have good leadership with not only airsoft knowledge and common sense but thinks with a milsim mindset youll do just fine.

play around with the role and see what fits you the most.

Guest Specs

Thanks for the responses and consideration everyone! Didn't realize this had gotten so much feedback.

@Mayo- Thanks for the heads up! I'm well aware of the limitations around airsoft sniper engagement distance. Particularly with polar-stars running around. Though I'll be closer to the 480-500 fps range. I'm sure I'll have a pretty nice bruise in the palm of my lever action hand by the end of the OP. (Usually have to pad it due to the stronger spring.) Ammo might be a major consideration, but I work in confidence that fewer shots and a spring operated rifle will be quieter every time. 

@Zerohawk- Awesome advice. Always nice to hear from a member of the same role and mindset. I tend to engage more on the aggressive end as it is, so I'm very much looking forward to Rebel Yell's high rate of engagement. (I get too antsy for that sitting in the back, becoming the bush sort of role. Feels like I'm not doing my squad much good other than radio contact.) 

I'm currently running a standard sling. I've tried single points and 3 points as well, but due to the longer rifle, it tends to swing completely vertical, leaving my face to fight off the end of my barrel or my stock. So experimentation continues.

@JP- I'll definitely be putting my coms through its paces. Assuming of course we don't have a communication breakdown like last year.

@Misfit- Since CDF will be heavy on the defense, I'll be sure to use my share of kill holes.