American MilSim
roughneck88

Pulsar Challenger Night vision 1x20

My point exactly, at least someone gets it. If we were a well funded military unit, then by all means get the best! But I can hear it now trying to explain to my wife why I just bought a 1500.00 dollar set of NVG's that I may use 4 times a year....

I have a D-112 Gen 1 monocular and a Sirius SD Gen 2 monocular.

I originally bought the Gen 1 for about $370 after looking up reviews on what was the best gen 1 I could purchase at the time. Things have changed since then and I read very good reviews about Armasite's "SPARK" gen one monocular, though they are around $500.
The D112 worked decently well but as with all Gen 1s it will only work as well as the IR illuminator you have. Without the illuminator I'd honestly say your own eyes might work better over all.
The main problem with the Gen 1 is that it doesn't amply light as well as later versions, so the IR illuminator has to use a lower frequency to be detected by the Gen 1 goggles.

I don't remember the specifics, but generally the IR light that comes with Gen 1s are around the 800 something range. Gen 2s and 3s are capable of picking up 900+frequency IR light though. Gen 1s cannot see the 900+ frequency light well enough.

While both lights are not visible by the human eye, the main difference is that the ~800 frequency light bulb on the Gen 1 glows distinctively red, so if you're looking directly at someone they will see a very visible red dot. This is visible from a pretty good distance away. I'd say that it's actually visible from further away than you could clearly make out anyone with the NOD.
The 900+ frequency however doesn't glow at all really. You may be able to see a VERY small red glow if you look directly into it from point blank.

However, because Gen 2s are so much more better than Gen 1s regarding light amplification the 900+freq light is all but useless unless you are in a completely black room (no night vision will work in a completely dark room without some sort of IR light).

The difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 is the greatest leap. Gen 2 to Gen 3 is definitely a upgrade and Gen 3 but Gen 1 to Gen 2 feels like using something completely different while stepping up from Gen 2 to Gen 3 feels more like an upgrade from Gen 2, if that makes sense?

I'll post another post with some comparison photos at around 5-10 ft. I plan to do another set of photos at a longer distance as it shows more clearly how much better Gen 2 and 3 are but have been unable to.

Though, realistically, for a night time game, a cheap set of Gen 1s are going to work better than a flahslight in some instance. Red dots (you can only see while looking directly at) are still a bit less visible than a flashlight. I would just be aware that what you're buying with Gen 1s won't be anything like what you see on movies or games (those are more like Gen 3).

I'd still suggest saving your money though and possibly just looking around for some used Gen 2s at least. I've been told if you're patient you can get them for around $600 - $700 sometimes.

All pictures were taken with an Iphone 5. The item of focus was a SUN laundry detergent bottle 5ft or 6ft away.

Gen 1 - D-112 ($370)
Gen 2 - Armasight Sirius Standard Definition $1,100 (after discount coupon)
Gen 3 - PVS 7 MilSpec $3500?

First off here is a picture of the location with the lights on.
NoNVG_zps1f3e1fe6.png

Gen 1 (IR light off)
Gen1IROFF_zpsf6a12683.png

Gen 1 (IR light on)
Gen1IRON_zps0d24e120.png

Gen 2 (IR light off)
Gen2IROFF_zps512cb60c.png

Gen 2 (IR light on)
Gen2IRON_zps24922e05.png

Gen 3 (IR light off)
Gen3IROFF_zpsd987a4d1.jpg

Gen 3 (IR light on)
Gen3IRON_zps036ed94d.jpg

The IR light shown does not show a beam of light but does give off a red glow from the lense itself and is visible to the human eye. I believe it runs somewhere in the 850 range.

The gen 2 and 3 both had internal 940 range IR lights but showed no change.

The biggest difference here is that the Gen 2 and 3 is capable of visual confirmation with the IR light thus making the wearer undetectable.

My point exactly, at least someone gets it. If we were a well funded military unit, then by all means get the best! But I can hear it now trying to explain to my wife why I just bought a 1500.00 dollar set of NVG's that I may use 4 times a year....

Then buy them.  Make sure you write a review so we can all see how they rate.

Myself and other team members have bought various Gen 1 night vision devices and paired them with high intensity infrared illuminators.

None of us have been overly impressed with the results, I ditched mine as I was better off with my natural night vision. As well as the fact that the back lighting green light onto your face and red glow from the infrared illuminator gave you away anyhow. Couple this with the fact the the IR splash from the illuminator any time you were close to a wall or building was blinding as well.

Bottom line sadly with this type of technology there isnt a good economical way to get a set worth having without shelling out some serious coin.

But it's cheap!!!!  And cheap is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P much what Postman said.  Do they work?  Depends on how bad your natural night vision is.  Are they worth 300 bucks?  Sure, if your goal is something that you can show off but aren't expecting a lot of function from.  I tell people again and again (and this is the same message that was passed to me when I pulled up the same various Gen 1 deals) to just wait, save, and do it big.  1500-2K is a lot to some, but save for a couple months and it's all yours.  I waited 8 years for mine, and the result is spectacular.

Always remember,

“THE ANGUISH OF LOW QUALITY LINGERS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW COST IS FORGOTTEN.â€

— Unknown

I think for Airsoft purposes a good Gen 2+ will suffice.  Before I got mine, I tried Mayo's (can't remember the manu) to moderate success.  It will give you a huge leg up and won't cost you an arm and a leg (just an arm).

This Forum is really good!
I bought this PULSAR 1x20 also bought by my friends! Everyone is absolutely satisfied. A quality device, not expensive and good to see. We use additional IR- (850nm).

We all put a DOS adapter on the rifles and that's how we use it. It is important that the optics be adjusted (preferably) 1.5 to 6x not larger than that. Everyone needs to know this! I use     (2.5-10x56) Ideal Pulsar device, we have been using it for a long time ...

My recommendations!

This Forum is really good!
I bought this PULSAR 1x20 also bought by my friends! Everyone is absolutely satisfied. A quality device, not expensive and good to see. We use additional IR- (850nm).

We all put a DOS adapter on the rifles and that's how we use it. It is important that the optics be adjusted (preferably) 1.5 to 6x not larger than that. Everyone needs to know this! I use     (2.5-10x56) Ideal Pulsar device, we have been using it for a long time ...

My recommendations!