AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
SABRE 08

Post Your Helmet Thread!

So im debating. How accurate (and compatible with attachments) is the DragonRed Airsoft FAST Ballistic premium?

Did any of you guys who own one had any major issues with it? or any issues at all? Would you recommend it?

My other choice is a genuine Ops Core BASE JUMP (not really ready to shell 600$ in the carbon model). The only thing i dislike about it is the fixed NVG mount cradle. I dont know if I,ll own any NVGs in the future. I just think the cradle looks weird.

So what ya'll say? DragonRed replica or Genuine base jump?

It's for airsoft, so the replica should do just fine, especially if you aren't going to be wearing NODs.

If someone is interested in the Crye Airframe rail adapter for the comtac or sordin headset adapters I have a pair for sale in the Gear BST.

I currently have two set ups, One an ACH and one an Ops-Core ballistic FAST. Since there are a lot of Ops-core guys, I'll hold off on it unless requested.

just painted it, couple coats with a sniper's veil over it.

Head-loc chinstrap

Team Wendy pads

Not pictured (yet)

norotos usgi rhino mount, painted at the same time

Cat Eye band with blood type/battle roster

MRE matches (for the kicks and giggles)

contour ROAM

PVS-14's with Wilcox amber filter

EOG counterweight

Princeton Tec Switch light White/IR

post-1654-0-31506200-1388432220_thumb.jpg

Why bother with a replica Ops-Core?  From what I've seen the non-ballistic models are under $250 - why not just get the real thing?

For some reason this dumb thread has me scoping out ballistic Ops-Cores on TNVC... Lord knows why as I never play airsoft anymore but the idea of a level IIIA helmet is nice.

Question: what are the bungees with hooks on the front of the helmets used for? I assume NVG retention but is this really necessary for those of us who aren't going to spend $999999 on GPNVG-18s?

I have to ask, if you don't play anymore and aren't in the military (hence the reason I guess you won't need to use NVG retention), why spend money on a ballistic paperweight? It's generally rather frowned upon to wear a helmet in the clubs, or even into Wal-mart...

Well in fairness I have been trying to get out to a game but my schedule has been pretty hectic - but anyway you never know when you might need a ballistic helmet!! ;)

I mean it wasn't really a trollish post - rather a legit question about the elastic cords at the front of the helmets.  I was also poking fun at my own inability to restrain myself from buying Cool Things...

edit: Ah, just noticed this on TNVC:

**PLEASE NOTE**

OPS CORE FAST BALLISTIC HELMETS ARE CURRENTLY ON BACK-ORDER.  THESE ARE SEMI-CUSTOM HELMETS AND ARE IN HIGH DEMAND BY TIER 1 SPECIAL OPERATIONS UNITS WHO ARE ALSO WAITING ON THEIR HELMETS.  CURRENT LEAD TIMES ARE AVERAGING 16 WEEKS, BUT MAY BE A BIT LONGER.

IF YOU WANT TO GET A FAST BALLISTIC HELMET, YOU MUST PLACE THE ORDER WITH US AND BE PATIENT.  WE RECOMMEND NOT “WAITING UNTIL THEY COME IN BEFORE ORDERING†BECAUSE HELMETS ARE SPOKEN FOR BEFORE WE EVEN GET THEM ON THE SHELF.  ALL OPS CORE DEALERS ARE IN THE SAME POSITION.  WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND FRUSTRATION, BUT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT. 

I'm going to avoid being "that guy" who places an order for something the .mil guys legitimately need. ;)

Yeah, don't order ballistic helmets unless you need one, please. 

I use the retention straps on my helmet to keep my NODs from bouncing around on my face.  There isn't an efficient way to strap dual tube systems down from the top, so side clips/bands hold them tight.  It also provides a second failsafe in case the mount breaks.

The bands come with the helmet and most people are either too lazy to take them off or like the look for some reason.  I think it's silly to wear a rhino mount on a helmet if you don't have NODs, but I do a lot of 'silly' things with my gear, too.

Makes sense - I didn't know they were in such high demand.  Are the non-ballistic models also something I should avoid?

Nah, plastic is easy to mold and the manufacturing process has a much faster turn around.  Aramids are much harder to wrap and shape; especially on shapes like the Ops-Core helmet that have multiple complex curvatures to them.  That, and QAQC procedures can take a while.  Add slow supply to high demand and you get put on a 2 month wait list.  At least, that's how long I waited for mine; I don't know the waiting period now.

20140213_005338_zps1fc9ecc1.jpg

20140213_005327_zpseba9b6bc.jpg

20140213_005241_zpse9869296.jpg

20140213_005215_zpsd13c6996.jpg

20140213_005202_zps63ecfe5e.jpg

20140213_005124_zps4a586e39.jpg

Just waiting for my IFF callsign patches to come in and I should be done. I run GoPro's most of the time but they aren't mine so I don't have them here.

this is my Emerson PJ Type Basic Bump helmet. its got the padding like a bike helmet on the inside so its somewhat uncomfortable but i will be upgrading prior to FG3. 

It is custom painted woodland with the LBX Tactical Spray paint kit (PH Camo colors. Light Green, Dark Green, Brown, and Tan.)

I paracorded the Facemask to the helmet as well as make shift goggle slings.

Here is my last finished helmet build. Its a RBR Tactical Mach III high cut Ballistic IIIa with ops core VAS shroud, armor source rails, Crye Precision Velcro and i attached a Cadex NV mount with Luna NV goggles

post-4209-0-50281500-1490920518_thumb.jpg

post-4209-0-31322100-1490920558_thumb.jpg